A Message From Heidi

January 6, 2011 -

Heidi

Hello Blogger friends,

Heidi here from a very grey U.K…..

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and yours a very happy, healthy and FUN 2011! All festivities have come and gone again and as much fun as it was….I don’t mind getting back to normality, well, as normal as it gets in the Heald household.

I am writing this with Kye on my lap as Dadda has a serious case of Man Flu / Real Flu….

It is hard for me to admit that this time John actually has a real cold and he looks and sounds very poorly. The “sniff” sounds normally start with Man Flu and if you ignore it long enough, it goes away automatically, funny that! The sniff sounds John started to make this week didn’t go away after I ignored it for 2 days, it got worse and then started to show a cold sore and that, my dear Bloggers, was the sign that John was either getting a real cold OR was run down from the trip to New York and the cold weather which gave him this rotten cold.

I really try and feel sorry for him but it’s hard to concentrate on him all day with a toddler running around the house wanting my attention as well. Trying to keep Kye away from John as I send him up to bed and get “rest”, which is a word I don’t think exists in Johns vocabulary. Rest for John is sitting in his Lazyboy with his legs up and still answer hundreds of e-mails, all work related. I have given up getting myself worked up over it as I now know it will never change and I would really love to meet the person who invented to sodding thing and tell him what I think of him, in DUTCH, as I swear better in Dutch and it will sound better, I am sure.

Anyway, I tucked my husband up in bed, telling Kye every 5 minutes “Dadda isn’t feeling very well, we need to leave him alone”. Good luck explaining that to a 1 year old……

So, John won’t be writing a blog today, I have taken away every single piece of equipment in our house with any kind of button on it so he only has the bedside light switch to play with :-)

I am sure you understand and maybe I am doing you a favour so you can get on with things and get some stuff done at work or actually have a proper lunch as you don’t need to take out an hour or so now to read today’s blog………double :-) :-) (as John loves them oh so much).

Until next time ….

Heidi

78 Responses to A Message From Heidi

1. Lynn in VA says:

Thanks for the update Heidi. Feel better soon John!

2. hug71 says:

Thanks for letting us know Heidi. Good luck with John and we hope to see you and Kye on BC4.

Jen

3. Heidi, Oh the poor boy. Glad you took away all his buttons now he will maybe get some rest if I leave him alone also, LOL. But we really want to know how you and Kye have been. We’ve not had a good post or pictures from you in a long time. So maybe you can fill in tomorrow for him with a post of your own.

BIG Ed

PS, you really know what the bloggers want to hear from you.

4. Sharon says:

Heidi,
    I’m so sorry that John is not well and I totally understand about trying to entertain a small child and tend to a sick man. After this you’ll be awarded a medal of sainthood. Thanks for taking care of John and for sharing him with all of us. Keep yourself and Kye healthy as well.
    Sharon

5. Stitch says:

Awww, poor John! Good thing he has you to look after him, Heidi. And God bless you for doing so. Hope for both of your sakes he is better soon!

And pass on to him a big thank you from the trick or treating Crazies!!!

Happy New Year to you all…may you be blessed in 2011!

Stitch

6. Jacqueline says:

Hi Heidi, if you are fed up with that klotecomputer and wanna curse in Dutch, go ahead, misschien kunnen we nog wat van elkaar leren :))

Sorry all who do not understand Dutch, but this is just the one opportunity to not write english.

Wish John the best, stay in bed, feed him chickensoup. Let Kye “read” him one of her books in her own way :)

The bloggers and beards can do without him for a bit, health first!

7. Carrie Weaver says:

Make sure he uses his Neti Pot!!

8. Beth Selinger says:

Stay well Heidi, you will need to also stay healthy – it would seem that when our men aren’t feeling well, they become “toddlers” as well. So, with two of them in your care, make sure you take care of yourself also!
    Thanks for taking the time to send a note.
    All my best,
    Beth

9. Ballardite says:

Love to hear from you Heidi! :-) Unfortunately, John has to be sick for us to hear directly from you :-(
    By the way, my mother will sometimes do ‘real’ swearing in her native language, and although we have never been told quite exactly what it means, I’ve learned that ‘blahblahblah’ is worse than ‘blah’ and should never, ever be said to someone from her native country. Just be careful that Kye’s first Dutch word isn’t dutch for ‘bleep’. ;-) There was danger of that happening to me…luckily my mom taught me ‘water’ and other food words first lol

10. Beth Bowell says:

Love this… sorry it’s NOT the Man flu… but instead the real thing. Make him rest!

11. Thanks Heidi for the update. Good luck getting John to relax and take it easy. Get well soon John!

12. Stephanie says:

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery John!:)

13. Kathy Berman says:

So sorry John isn’t feeling well. He probably picked something up in New York. Men aren’t very good when they get sick. Hope he feels better soon. Love to Kye and you.
    Kathy

14. Laura Harlin says:

Great hearing from you Heidi! Thanks for the update and hope John starts to feel well soon!

15. Frank & Bridie Rist says:

Thanks for the update heidi. Please fell better john and get some rest and dream of megan’s bottom.

Big Fans as Allways,
    Frank and Bridie

16. nanetteali says:

Hi Heidi!!
    Did good! Hide all those things. I can imagine John is really sick if he let you do this. Take care!!

17. Peter Ward says:

Happy New Year Heidi, John & Kye.! Hope John feels better soon.
    Cheers,
    Peter

18. Jane Saunders says:

Thanks, Heidi. We all hope John feels better soon.

19. Deloris says:

Dear Heidi, sorry to hear John is under the weather. Hope he gets feeling better soon. I love reading his blog and can’t wait til he is back. Best wiishes for a great New Year to you and the family. You have a wonderful husband and I am happy to have him as a friend – even if it is just on Facebook. Hopefuly I will meet him someday ! Take care, Deloris

20. kntadams92 says:

Thanks for keeping us updated, Heidi! We all love John, too…but really want him to take care of himself!!

21. Andrea says:

Thanks for the update Heidi! Hope John feels better and actually does get some rest. Maybe you should tie him to the bed? But then again he may enjoy it too much. Happy New Year to you and Kye and John.

22. Elizabeth says:

Ah, the joys of having a workaholic husband! I know it all too well. At least I don’t have a toddler running around the house on top of everything else.

Best to you, Kye and John and I wish him a speedy recovery!

Elizabeth

23. Cynthia says:

Thanks Heidi for taking time out of your busy, crazy day and let us know all about John being sick! Hope to see you on the BC4 cruise. I would love to meet you and kye. Tell John to take care of himself. We will be eagerly awaiting his next blog once he gets better. :-)

24. Gina W says:

Thanks Heidi, good to hear from you! And a Blessed and Happy New Year to all of you too. Hope John gets to feeling better really soon! Big HUGS to Miss Kye!

25. Barbara McQuillan says:

Thanks Heidi–glad to hear you’re taking away all of his buttons so he can concentrate on getting better. Take care of yourself and Kye so that you also stay well!

26. Debbie says:

Great hearing from you Heidi! Taking care of a sick man is worse than taking care of a sick child but hang in there and keep us posted. Really hoping that you and Kye can join us on the BC4. And you are right, with John sick what will I do with all my spare time??:)

27. Martha Carter says:

Heidi,
    That really made me laugh, and I really needed a good one today. I hope John feels better soon. Take care of yourself so you don’t get sick either. Next NYE you all need to come visit Las Vegas. The weather is really much better. Happy New Year to you, Kye and John.
    Martha

28. Beth Flynn says:

Not the Crackberry, say it isnt so…….at least let him have his crackberry……cruel woman.

Keep yourself from getting sick Heidi, chasing after a toddler WITH a cold is no fun. :)

29. Mike from VA says:

Here’s hoping Johnny boy kicks this mess and gets well soon. Yabba dabba do can only stay away so long ! ! ! !

30. Mark Rosenthal says:

Give him our best, cold or not he deserves a bit of rest.

31. jgeraci says:

Heidi,
    With all the airplane travel, time changes, and other issues John has had to contend with the past few months, it’s no wonder he has finally developed the dreaded Winter Cold!
    Keep him as quiet as you can. Carnival & we all will survive. Take care of yourself too.
    Thanks for writing,
    JoyceG

32. jobella says:

Anything in a foreign language sounds better, Heidi. :D I hope John is resting and feels better soon. Hope you and Kye don’t get the crud.

33. Liz says:

Heidi,

You know what men play with if you take all their toys away! *gasp*! :)

I hope you guys are all 100% soon :)

Liz

34. Ellen says:

Dear Heidi, Thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule to fill in for John. Sorry to hear he is under the weather, most likely he picked up the bug in N.Y.C. as the flu is rampant over here. Plenty of liquids along with a few hot totties will help….

35. Janey - OKGIRL says:

Thanks for letting us know Heidi…….I feel bad for him, I know my sister and BIL have both been sick for weeks with the stuff. Hope you are pushing the water and chicken soup…….and that nobody else in the house comes down with it too…….keep those hands washed….

I was posting today to say Thank You to John for getting a reduced deposit reinstated for the Halloween Conquest Crazies Cruise. I know it took a lot of effort on his part. It so helps those of us on limited incomes to be able to participate in these cruises by paying out the deposit over a longer period of time……..

36. Host Mach from Cruise Critic says:

Heidi, please tack John down to the bed and keep him there till he’s better or he needs a new pair of underware… which ever comes first.

All the best to you, Kye and John for an amazing New Year.

Ciao!

Host Mach

• Marty Paul says:

Mach – unfortunately, I would have to put my $$ on needing new underware to happen first (if it hasn’t already). Where is Ketut?

37. cruizer4662/Ernie says:

Neti pot for that “stuffy feeling”, remember John!!!!

38. Jay Edie (Cruise Addict) says:

Hallo Heidi,
    Ik ben blij u John maakt het gemakkelijk en rust nemen voor een paar dagen.
    Het is een goede zaak hij u en Kye heeft of hij zou nog proberen om zijn blogpost te schrijven, die aan de hele tijd lijdt.
    Dank u voor het nemen van dergelijke goede zorg van onze vriend.
    Beste wensen in het nieuwe jaar.

Jay

39. Big John says:

Dear Heidi,
    Thank you for taking the time to fill in for John. As a man, I recognize that when I get sick it always seems to be much worse than anyone else’s. Indeed keep the young one away; remember that in the wild Old Males eat the young!!!
    Maybe a good dose of Chicken Soup is in order.
    Cheers,

40. Jane scaringelli says:

Thanks heidi have not heard of man flu before lol. I hope you keep a good supply of man diapers if he does not feel like getting out of bed. The things we do for the man we love. Hope John
    Is better really soon

41. michelle mann says:

thanks heidi

wish john well….you take care and enjoy the piece and quite.

michelle

42. Julie Gantt says:

Great to hear from you Heidi! Sorry John is sick. Please let us know how YOU and Kye are doing, we love you too!

43. Nancy McQuarrie says:

Thank you for the update, Heidi. Best of luck to you tending to two toddlers…men do become such babies when they are sick. Sending positive thoughts that you and Kye don’t come down with it! John, please take good care of yourself, and hope you feel better very soon!

Nancy

44. Sue Jeffrey says:

Thanks for writing Heidi. Hope that John feels better soon and you and Kye stay away from him so you won’t get whatever bug he has! Give him our best wishes for a speedy recovery. Happy New Year to you!

45. TxLadyDi says:

Heidi, Thanks so much for taking time out of your hectic day to give us a quick update. John must be feeling pretty bad to let you hide all his electronic thingys. May have to take him to the Doctor, if it gets worse.

I remember the days, long-long-ago, of chasing a toddler around to keep them away from the sick Dadda. So sorry you are having one of those days.

Maybe when Kye naps, you can, too. Gotta keep your strength up!

Happy New Year to all of you,
    Di

46. tracy says:

hi heidi hope john feels better. and love to see some pics of kye and a blog from u.

47. Brian Baker says:

Can anyone read my comments please respond…

48. Valerie says:

Hehehe Heidi said “sodding”!! LOL

49. The Cruzin2some says:

Dear Heidi,
    I have seen the question on the blog thingy but not seen an answer. Are you and Kye going to be on the BC4.
    The Cruzin2some

50. Sandy Hanson says:

Thanks Heidi for posting on John’s condition. I hope you and Kye do not get this bad flu or cold he has. We wish you the best for the New Year.

51. oh bless his heart… i am picturing him laying there playing with the light switch and sorry, but that’s funny as all hell!

good to hear from you heidi, i know you are taking great care of him. thanks from all of us!

hugs, bee
    xoxoxoxo

52. Lynn and Mike Sagara says:

Heidi –
    Thank you for taking away all of John’s “toys” maybe he will get some rest now. We hope that either you or little Kye don’t come down with what ever he has. Take care. The Sagara’s

53. Brandi says:

Get well soon John!! Hope you are doing well Heidi, I hope you and Kye can stay healthy.

54. Timoneer says:

Heidi, thanks for the update and taking away John’s electronic equipment. He needs to have a few days of complete rest.

55. Maria & Juan Santana says:

Hi, Heidi! Thank you for taking care of John, Kye and of course, of us….by updating us on how is John’s miserable cold making him very sick. I agree 100% with one of our fellow bloggers…. what John needs ASAP is a large dosis of “the jewish penicilin” alias “chicken soup.” It works wonders! We haven’t discover the wonders of homemade chicken soup yet, but let me tell you: “It cures everything!” Here in Miami there are lots of people sick with colds/flu, etc. They have been sick for weeks! Make sure that John gets checked up by a Dr. (just in case), that he gets his well-deserved rest/sleep, and the wonderful chicken soup.

Regards to you and John & give Kye a big kiss. (Please keep her away from John, she doesn’t need his germs/virus!)

The Santanas of Miami Beach

56. Cheryl says:

Thanks Heidi. It’s always great to hear from you and you did the right thing taking away the electronics. Glad to hear you and Kye don’t have the flu.

57. Jeanett says:

Heidi, what John needs is a powerful sedative to knock him out so he can’t play with the electronic toys and gadgets and leave you alone to chase Kye!

58. Deborah Rosato says:

Hi Heidi,

I’m glad you took all the gadgets away making sure that John has a proper rest. Are we going to see you on the bloggers cruise? I hope so.

Happy 2011 to all of you and sending get well wishes to John!!

(((hugs)))
    Deb

59. MIKE RHONE says:

Happy New Year to You, John & Kye. It seemed that whenever John gets back to the Old Sod, {England} He gets sick. You need to come to Florida, Be closer to the Beards and be rid of the Cold Damp weather. Enjoy sunshine!! Many Thanks for all you do for John’s loyal fans.
    Big Mike & Linda. Also from Florida

60. Kel says:

Thanks for the update Heidi, hope John is up and complaining soon!

61. Fern says:

Heidi, thanks for posting for your sweet John :) . I hope you are all feeling better very soon. I’d also recommend chicken soup and a hot toddy or two :).

Hoping to see you on the Magic next fall,

Fern

62. Berniece says:

Hi Heidi
    Please let John know he is in our prayers for a very speedy recovery. And yes it sounds as though he has been burning the candle at both ends and that wears down the immune system. Rest, fluids, and time with Kye and Heidi…thats what this doctor ordered!!
    Cant wait to see you guys on the Sept 4th sailing of Magic,
    Bernie-ob doc

63. Susie Trimble says:

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the update…sounds like you really have your hands full between John and Kye. Try and take it easy so u dont come down with that blasted cold!!!

best wishes

Susie

64. I’m so very sorry to hear that John is under the weather. He must realize that he is not a Superman. He really needs to take better care of himself and I so glad that you doing what has to be done. Send the silly man to bed to rest under strict orders to rest and that’s it for now. Well done Heidi.You are the Superwoman. Have him take any hot liquid ( a shot of the real strong stuff , booze ) Get well John.

Paul F. Pietrangelo

65. Sarah Oxfurth says:

Aw, I do hope John is better ASAP! Thanks for posting for us Heidi! And, most of all, thanks for sharing your dear husband with us! I love hearing all about your family as well as all the very neat inside views and great humour (spelt correctly, I hope) that John shares with us! :) Y’all take care of yourselves!

66. Linda Herrnacki says:

Hi Heidi: I agree with BIG ED, we need some pictures of KYE, keep writing the blog for a few days with updates about John. Give him our best, and some chicken soup too! Good for whatever ails you! Hope you are on the Bloggers cruise so we can all see you and Kye too. Happy New Year, and thanks for taking such good care of John. Be careful not to get his germs too. I can’t imagine him having full control of taking care of Kye instead of you. He’d probably put Kye’s diaper on her head instead of her bottom! “A New HAT style” HA! HA! Take care, and remember we all want to see pictures of Kye, throw one in of John at his worst in bed sick as a little boy! He deserves pampering! Your friends, Linda & Mike from Florida, where it is not so sunny and warm lately.

67. Marsha Breen says:

Take care of your man Heidi and tell him not to worry about the Blog. We’ll wait till he is better – we’re not going anywhere!!!

68. Catherine Thomas says:

I have heard about you and Kye from this blog for a couple of months now so it was nice to actually read your post. It is hard dealing with a sick man and a toddler (especially a workaholic) but just remember to keep looking after yourself as well. I often forgot that and then ended up sicker than anyone and still having to look after things.
    Catherine

69. Mary says:

LOL! That gave me a chuckle. Thanks Heidi! Why is it that men think the sniffles they have need everyone’s attention? Loved that you waited a few days to react. Bummer that the sniffles turned into a cold. I hope John feels better soon. Take care and have a great new year!

70. Enrique says:

hope you feel better soon, you might need some time here in SUNNY Miami Beach :). Give us a call if you come over here before your next ship.
    take care
    Enrique

71. The Real Don Johnson says:

Dear John, Hope you get to feeling better! It sucks to go to New York and catch the bug. Hope to see the best cruise director ever again soon. We will be sailing on the Miracle Feb 15 and hope to sail the following week on Miracle also to Aruba. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary Feb 23. back at Ft. Lauderdale before we sail out on the second cruise.
    Sincerely,
    The Real Don Johnson( we sailed on the Legends with you last October 2009) and Debra Johnson

72. Jodi says:

Once again – I ought to have said sooner- Get Well, John! Good luck to you too Heidi! There’s few things that are more difficult than getting a hardworking man to rest or getting his one-year-old daughter (or son) to let him!

73. Peg Dunbar says:

Sending good thoughts your way John, hope you feel better soon.

Heidi, you are very brave to take every toy away from John LOL. I hope our little Kye does not get what her Dada has nor you.

Love to all of you.

74. Princess Susan says:

Heidi,
    So nice to hear from you again! I agree with everybody, John must be really sick if you got all those button things away from him.

Hope you and Kye don’t catch it, there is nothing worse than a sick one year old!

Bloggers are still hoping to see you on the BC4, but we understand if you can’t make it.

75. mjbearit says:

Heidi,
    Please remember to take care of yourself too! I had a houseful of sick wife and kids and valiently fought this nonsense off until Christmas day when it finally hit me! Please be sure to take your vitamins and get enough rest (as if a toddler will let you rest!). Watch John, leaving him the light switch he could be sending morse code to some one to post something for him! :) Apparently, from what I hear this thing comes back if you exert yourself too soon after “thinking” you are well! So far, I have everyone in the house well (I think) and am almost back to normal myself. But it has taken from Christmas day until now! And no, this one is not the “man-flu”! This one is an honest to goodness cold/flu that just hangs in there. I got my flu shot this year and even that didn’t help! You take care of you and Kye, John will get better if he behaves! If not, just go to the surgery and get him codeine cough medicine and that will put him out so he has to rest! ;-)
    Mike

76. Kara says:

Heidi,
    Thanks a lot for the update! You’re an excellent wifey! Taking care of John AND keeping up on his blogs for him.. you’re a wonder wife! :) I know it sucks having a sick husband and wanting to do anything you can do to help, but at least he’s with you now while he’s sick. That’d be so terrible if he were on a ship, all alone, feeling this bad. I’m sure he’ll get nursed back to health much more quickly with you and Kye by his side. Take care of yourself and John Heidi! Thanks a lot for taking the time to come on here and write to us. I’m sure it’s not an easy thing to find extra time with a one year old and sick husband.

-Kara

P.S. I really want to hear you yell and swear at someone in Dutch for some odd reason now. I think that’d be pretty damn funny. I’d probably just laugh and you’d then turn your anger on me. lol

77. Pat says:

John well to say the least i first met your wonderful sense of humor on a cruise i went on in 1994, i believe the ship was the sensation. The night in question was a skit you were putting on the name of it being “bedtime story” OMG you were so funny your sense of humor was one of a kind. i bought the video of it and brought it home and played it for my family, to this day my granddaughter still asks to see it and we all laugh i thought you were a great cruise director and am glad even after 12 cruises i have taken that you are still with carnival cruises