RIP TUXEDO

February 17, 2012 -

It’s Friday February 17 and its time to pay tribute to something that has slowly disappeared from the Promenade Decks and dining rooms of the Carnival fleet. No, not the sodding shrimp cocktail ……….the gentleman’s tuxedo. My first remembrance of the tuxedo or dinner jacket as it’s known in the land of spotted dick and Simon Cowell was when I hired one from a store called Moss Bros. It was for a posh party and my mate Alan and I thought it would be “cool” to wear a tuxedo. Turns out it wasn’t and we were the only two people wearing such attire and to the other party goers we didn’t look cool at all. We looked like total and utter plonkers and we might as well have stood there wearing baggy underpants…… because the girls ignored us. We ended up drowning our sorrows with cheap wine and the next day I returned my hired tuxedo to the store explaining to the man on the returns desk that it was covered in vomit when I rented it.

Some years later when I was a younger cruise director I would wear the tuxedo with pride. I would wear a black one on the first then “formal” night and then a white one on the second formal night and many, many male guests would do the same. Such was the popularity of the tuxedo that we, of course, started to rent them from the formalities shops and male guests would rent them in abundance. Far more male guests would bring their own, whether hired or owned wearing one was a sign of the times, rather like the huge real estate we gave to cigar smoking in the Destiny-, Conquest- and Splendor-class cigar bars.

But times change and the tuxedo has become an endangered species, replaced by regular business suits. This past elegant night on the Carnival Magic, Calvyn and I set out to see how many we could count. He walked round the dining rooms while I covered the captain’s celebration on Promenade deck, both sittings. Now obviously we didn’t see everyone but out of the many hundreds of guests we did see, it will maybe surprise you that the total number of guests wearing a tuxedo was………..11. Yep just 11.Now you may think that this is specific to the Carnival Magic in Galveston but I assure you it’s not as it was the same when we sailed out of Europe as well. Yep, the tuxedo is slowly becoming the betamax of the fashion world.

Many of you know my feelings on dress code and I really don’t want to drag this up again so that H82Seaugo and her mates can get their John Heald voodoo dolls out and stick some pins in my bottom, but times they are a changing. Back in those days, you couldn’t go anywhere without going home first to get changed. I remember the day when restaurants would turn you away if you weren’t wearing a tie. Gentlemen were required to wear jackets. Look, I know that this is a point of contention for many people but overall I think we have a dress code that is exactly what it should be………..relaxed. Telling guests what to wear is like insisting that all the vegetablists eat a huge steak. If you are a host at a party you are throwing at your house, then it is your duty to make sure that your guests have as nice a time as possible. That means letting them wear and do and eat whatever takes their fancy and during your much needed vacation I think it is absurd to tell our guests what they must wear. Some won’t agree, I’m sure.

So unless you’re George Clooney at the Oscars it appears the tuxedo is out and most of our guests have stopped wearing them on elegant night. And from what I have seen this week the new trend is for guests who do dress elegantly to change after dinner and photos back into casual clothes. The tuxedo looked good but with cummerbunds, cufflinks and a real bow tie to fasten and to position under the triangle collar it was easier to build a nuclear power station then to put one on. I recognise that some people like getting dressed up. I have no problem with this. But I can say from being with Carnival for 26 years that things have changed, they really have and the tuxedo has for the most part been replaced with the business suit and tie.

You know, when I used to go to what were then called discos, you had to wear a suit or you wouldn’t be allowed in. But not anymore. Now you can wear what you like. And judging by what some of the ladies were wearing in the Vibe Dance club last night, it seems …………………. you don’t have to wear much of anything at all.

Let’s crack on, shall we?

Maureen asked:

I just love the new link tab on the Carnival Facebook page. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the life and times of the cruise directors. I was looking for the Cruise Director Jamie, that we had on the Carnival Sensation Oct 9-13, 2011, but didn’t see her picture or bio listed there. She was fabulous! And we enjoyed her as cruise director. We hope to have her as cruise director on another cruise in the future.

Hello Maureen

Thanks for those kind words. Jaime is as of tomorrow on Carnival Legend and will eventually head to the Carnival Liberty as CD. I saw her yesterday in Freeport and she looks great and is definitely an asset to Carnival. Thanks again for the kind words and I hope all is well with you.

Jennifer Reiss asked:

Your blog today contained a letter from someone who was on the same cruise as me on the Carnival Fantasy. She wrote how disturbed she was that during a night of entertainment Carnival decided to allow three passengers to sing religious songs on stage. I agree, it is disgusting and in this day and age I am shocked that Carnival allows this to happen. Please explain why on a fun cruise ship as Carnival proclaims to be is this allowed. Religious songs must be banned as you have a multi-cultural multi or no faith audience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Jennifer Reiss

I am sorry for the long delay in my reply to your question but I really am so far behind in my blog questions. The talent show is a feature on some ships and we allow guests to entertain their fellow guests. There are guidelines which include no comedians or songs with bad language etc but respectfully, do you honestly expect us to ban religious songs? I mean, what’s next? I do hope despite this that you had a great cruise and thanks for taking the time to write.

Terri Jo Kesar asked:

Carnival needs to enforce its rules on dress code because on our relocation cruise on Carnival Paradise was marred by many passengers dressing in jeans and T-shirts at dinner including formal night and our dining room experience was spoiled by the crew allowing this to happen. Another sign of Carnival’s slipping standards. My DH and I are VIP platinum guests and this was cruise number 17.

Terri Jo

I know many guests still like to dress up because that chance doesn’t come around much for many and it’s great that we give you the choice but comments like this one genuinely baffle me. Why would you worry about what someone else is wearing while you’re eating dinner? I am sorry Terri Jo, I do hope you had a great cruise through the canal and truly value you as a Carnival guest but honestly, I don’t get it.

Martha Beaudry asked:

I just returned from a cruise aboard the Carnival Triumph (11/12 – 11/17). I loved our cruise director, Tex. At first, I thought he was a little annoying but he really grew on me and I looked forward to his daily announcements. The dance he made up of the different movements (wash the dog, shopping, mow the lawn and the sprinkler etc.) was absolutely hilarious. I also, want to recognize Cassie as well. She was a lot of fun.

Hello Martha Beaudry

Well that’s two in today’s Q&A for the cruise directors and that’s great news indeed. I shall make sure Tex and Cassie see how much you enjoyed them and thanks again for taking the time to write.

Gold Member (4) asked:
HI,

I am NOT complaining at any type I’m just suggesting! I’ve been on four Carnival cruises, and on each one there has been a lack of chicken wings! That’s it! Love Carnival, everything is great: food, entertainment, trivia’s, and youth programs! Thanks for reading.

Hello Gold Member (4)

If only other questions were as simple to answer as this. I will pass your comments to the beards and I should mention that we now serve complimentary chicken wings at the EA Sports Bar on the Carnival Liberty and will on other ships as they get their 2.0 upgrades. Thanks for your loyalty and hope we see you again very soon.

Paul Bracali asked:
Brand Ambassador.

I’ve been reading your blog for the last few months and am fascinated by how a company like Carnival Cruise Lines allows you to get away with such a blog as this. You do seem to have the ear of the higher ups so I wanted you know that in my opinion Carnival wants to keep growing and enticing its customer base to return to Carnival then it must hire better workers. The experience that my family and I had on the Carnival Splendor was one of lack of English from the officers in white uniforms to the cabin boy who when asked for something would smile and nod and then not bring or do what he was asked. You must realize that if the workers don’t understand the customers’ requests then how can you offer good customer service? Answer is that you cannot. I spoke with many on that cruise and each one agreed that the language barrier made this cruise a forgettable one at best and a massive annoyance and disappointment at worst. I suggest that as the ambassador you act on this now.

Hello Paul Bracali

Thanks for taking the time to write and I do hope you had a great cruise despite your concerns. I am though going to have to say that I disagree with you because our crew all have to pass an English exam before being placed in guest service positions and while it may not be their first language and although they may speak with a heavy accent, they understand your requests and are able to provide brilliant customer service. I am therefore so shocked to see this comment. You may have spoken to those on that cruise who you say agreed with you but respectfully I will say that your comment is a rare one. I will though pass this to the ship’s senior management as you requested and I hope you will return to Carnival again where I promise we will give you the best value for money cruise vacation in the industry.

Angela Henkel asked:

I have been on six Carnival cruises and it seems that the more that I am on, the worse location I get in the dining room. I look forward to every aspect of the cruise including dining and this is becoming very disappointing. I was told during my sixth cruise that if I am unhappy with my location, I can speak to the maitre´ d, which I did and all I accomplished was upsetting her and she made it very clear to me. While this was my sixth cruise (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) it was my father’s first and I was anxious for him to have a good time and be able to see the waiters sing and dance and want to cruise again. She moved us, it was still a terrible location and we could not see anything. So, why is it that as I cruise more am I getting worse locations in the dining room?

Hello Angela Henkel

Thanks for writing to me and I should point out that table assignment is not based at all on the number of cruises someone has done. In truth it’s based on demographics, groups and other factors but not who has cruised the most. I think the maitre d’s thoughts are that there is no such thing as a “bad table” and regardless of where you are seated that you will receive good food and brilliant service. I am guessing that you wish to be based at the centre of the dining room which a few guests do feel are the best tables and if that’s the case let me know next time you cruise and I will do my best to assist you. Thanks for your loyalty and hope we see you again very soon.

Best wishes

Dean asked:

This may get a little long, but I wanted to make sure and call out everything and everyone on the Carnival Freedom that made our cruise the best yet. We sailed on 11/19, and are dealing with our first full day back home (including some serious withdrawal). Before I started forgetting things, I wanted to write up some feedback.

First, the eight-day western Caribbean is a perfect itinerary. The perfect mix of sea days and ports to keep a busy family relaxed. The only thing we wished is that it had an extra day to stop by Cozumel again on the way home between the two sea days for some extra beach time.

Next, on to the staff. I’ve never understood some forum comments I’ve seen people make in the past where they’d indicate a cruise director either made or ruined their cruise. In my opinion, I’m the only one who can make my cruise good or bad, since it is after all, my cruise. After being on the Carnival Freedom last week, I now get what they’re saying (in a good way). Brad was simply outstanding and definitely made our time on the ship better. I couldn’t tell you the name of any CD we’ve had on past ships (various lines), but I have no doubt we’ll remember Brad. The guy has the perfect personality for this job, and is absolutely hilarious (or “almost a comedian” as some lady at the Q&A put it, which she meant as a compliment). Carnival should do whatever they can to keep him, and as you can tell, we can’t say enough good stuff about him.

Frankly, his entertainment staff is great, too. We played trivia several times, and Chelsea was awesome. She was always smiling, and incredibly friendly. In case she sees this, we’d like to give her a shout out from the Crusin’ Cats. We had a blast coming back from wwaaayyy behind to win super trivia on the last day!

Moving on, our wait staff in the Posh dining room, headed by Ashwin, was excellent. He’s a very personable guy, and did a great job, even with some of the others at our table disappearing on him. We wish him a safe and relaxing trip home when he gets off the ship in a few days.
Great DR + great table next to the aft windows + great staff = excellent dining experience. Not sure how we pulled that outstanding table location, but we loved it. I’d also like to add that our visit to the steak house was excellent. The filet was perfect (far better than the filet served in the DR :-)), and Polina was very friendly and handled some changes to our steakhouse reservations before we sailed very quickly. Hope she enjoys her time off.

Overall, Carnival has come a long way since we last sailed with them in 2004, and as mentioned, this turned in to our best cruise to date. A very big thank you to everyone on the ship for a wonderful vacation!

Dean

PS – To the dancer who did the Austin Powers themed dance class, it was awesome, but you should add a flash mob element to it. After you teach the class the dance, send them up nonchalantly to Lido and Panorama to surround the pool, and once everyone is up there fire up the music and start dancing. It’d be awesome!

Hello Dean

What an absolutely fantastic review and I am so glad you mentioned Brad who is everything you said he is. The Carnival Freedom is top of the fleet in ratings as per the guest review cards and your review sums up exactly why. I have sent your words of praise to the ship and the beards and I hope we will see you again soon. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Lori De Granger asked:
John –

You mentioned that Carnival has no religious services on board their boats so how can you state you are a family cruise line. I was researching the possibilities of doing a cruise and read your blog and when I saw that you had no services I was horrified and bitterly disappointed. It’s back to Branson, Missouri, for us.

Hello Lorri De Granger

That’s two very different comments today about religion. Every now and then I have to simply say that cruising isn’t for everyone and if religious services during the cruise is a deciding factor whether you book with Carnival then this is one of those occasions. I wish you and your family a wonderful vacation wherever you spend it and if you think there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

Frank Perez asked:

I have read various comments about past guest parties, but after nine sailings on Carnival, I have never been invited to one. How come?

Hello Frank Perez

I am flabbergasted by this. I really am You should have received written invitations in your stateroom since cruise number two. I sincerely apologise and will look into this right now for you and someone will be in touch.

Simon Haviland asked:

My wife and I need a table for two because of my wife’s speech impediment which she is very embarrassed about. We are on Dream Marc 3, 2012 in cabin 8292.

Simon and Martha Haviland

Hello Simon Haviland

I will certainly ask the maitre d to assist you with this and I wish you both a wonderful cruise.

Best wishes

Keith Wilkins asked:

Just wondering if you will be the cruise director on the inaugural cruise of the Carnival Breeze out of Miami. We were on the inaugural of the Carnival Magic out of Galveston and were a little disappointed that you were not the CD on that trip, although we were happy to see you out and about on the ship. We had a great time on the cruise, especially the Trivia/Canada trivia with Calvin. I think the wife (Trina) would be his groupie if we weren’t in the 29+++++++ age group. So I guess her question would be, is Calvin going to be on the Carnival Breeze for the inaugural out of Miami. And by the way, thank you for the strawberries you sent us for our anniversary. It was like seed faith for an evangelist; Trina had to have them every day for the rest of the cruise. Whatever keeps mama happy is a good thing.

Thanks again, Cheers

Hello Keith Wilkins

Brilliant post because that describes Calvyn so much, He is funny and so talented and we will be hosting shows together when we see you on the Carnival Breeze. Please let me know if there is anything you need before you cruise and see you both soon.

And that’s all for today, many thanks for all the questions and comments.

And as promised I will continue with my recap of the ports that the Carnival Legend will visit on her Baltic cruises and today we talk about the jewel in the Baltic itinerary which is of course St. Petersburg — the one in Russia, not Florida.

The excursions we will offer in 2013 will be simply the best and remember to pass through Russian immigration you must have booked a private excursion and have proof of this with you or, as most guests do book an excursion onboard. You will not be able to get past the men with frying pan hats on and who have the sense of humour of a dead slug if you don’t. You cannot just go ashore on your own, it’s not allowed. The end.

Priority will be given to guests on a Carnival purchased excursion who will leave the ship first in this port. Just an FYI for now. Basically, St. Petersburg is the best port of call, by a long way. There is no city like it and the Carnival Legend will be your time machine. We will take you back to the days of the tsars and tsarinas and WWII when, under its old name of Leningrad, the city was under siege for two years and over a million people died………..mostly from starvation.

Then the remnants of the days of Lenin, Stalin and the one with the funny oil patch on his head will be up close and personal as the last throws of communism will be there for all to see. This comes as you drive through the suburbs past the old cars and faceless grey buildings where some people still have to queue for a loaf of bread. You see, Russia is often a land of the haves and the have nots, although there seem to be quite a few haves these days. You can see them everywhere stepping out of their big Mercedes and Rolls Royce Phantoms under the watchful eyes of ex-KGB bodyguards with no necks and who have tattoos of a bloody axe on their forehead and who talk mysteriously into their arms. The amount of cash washing around Russia these days is astronomical, inconceivable even. On the all day tours lunch and dinner is included and the restaurants we visited when I was there with Carnival Splendor in St. Petersburg are quite gaudy, with more camp and flash than Richard Simmons’ shorts and designed by top Russian architect Joseph Farcusov.

The ship organized tours of seven or more hours will feature lunch in restaurants oozing with gold ornaments and massive sterling silver cutlery. You will be welcomed with a glass of vodka which you should drink in one shot……..not doing so is considered rude. Then and still before any food is served, you are given a glass of Russian champagne. Your guide will make a toast and again she will explain that Russian tradition states that you must drink this glass again …..….in one long gulp.

So you have had a shot of vodka and a huge glass of champagne all in five minutes. The reason they do this is because the food is crap. Of course, I am joking. The food was surprisingly excellent.

So, what tour should you take? What should you see? Well, the most popular excursion on the Carnival Splendor will also be offered in 2012 on the Carnival Legend. It’s called the Grand Tour and it certainly lives up to its name. I remember that 1,000 people took this excursion each and every time we sailed into the port. This is the best of everything and over the two days you will visit most of the major sites. This still allows time in the evening to take in an evening concert at Catherine Palace with dinner in Pushkin or our most popular tour …… sitting in the national theatre watching the very thin women and men with pieces of fruit shoved down the front of their tights….or to give them their proper name……The St. Petersburg National Ballet Company perform……Swan Lake…it’s truly incomparable.

However you mix your tours you must see the top five which are:

THE HERMITAGE MUSEUM – The Hermitage used to be the palace of the tsars and now it contains possibly the greatest collection of paintings, jewelry, statues and rare items from all over the world. Everywhere you turn there are moments of “wow” and “Oh my goodness look at that!” There are even stronger emotions when you enter the Throne Room from where the tsars ruled Russia. There are paintings by Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Monet and in the Gold Room, a collection of precious stone objects that are quite simply indescribable. They say that if you were to stop and look at every artifact in the Hermitage for just three minutes…….it would take you a year to see everything.

And, of course, you must see Catherine’s Palace, the fountains and palace at Peterhof, and the Peter and Paul Fortress. Then at night we have excursions to the folkloric shows, a private dinner and performance at Catherine Palace and, of course, a chance to see Swan Lake performed by the Russian Ballet Company………..amazing.

All of the above is what makes St. Petersburg a must on your bucket list. St. Petersburg is a living version of a Tom Clancy novel and I absolutely loved it. The city is as intense as putting Ben-Gay on your thingy and the grayness is everywhere, even the stray dogs that nibble on the left over grey food……. are grey. I was talking with Ken here on Carnival Magic and we both said that St. Petersburg is a place anyone who visits …..will never forget.

OK, let’s jump back into the Delorean and go back in time to 2008 when a much fatter me made this video.

So as you saw yesterday Carnival Destiny is doing a trans-Atlantic crossing that ends in Europe. What happens after that will be announced in the weeks ahead. The trans-Atlantic crossing is exciting news for those who wanted new and varied ports of call, that’s for sure.

In two days time I will be cruise director and providing the swamp fever I have at the moment doesn’t kill me then I will be ready to get out on stage and share with you the stories of life onboard. Stories like this one from today’s incident report.

CABIN………
NAME: Mrs.…….
REF: 171140A809
Guest called the GSD and stated that she was upset because she had been sitting at the same slot machine in the casino for 40 minutes and did not win. She left to go to the bathroom and came back and another guest was playing and won $450. Mrs. _________ says she left her drink at the side of the machine to reserve it and that the win should be hers. Casino manager contacted guest. Nothing further.

I don’t know about you but I do feel sorry for the guest as that was one very expensive pee.
OK, that’s me done for today as I am not feeling well and blogging with a cold is as difficult as translating the words “personal hygiene” into French.

I will be on Facebook over the weekend and then reporting from the CD chair here on the blog on Monday when I will also be reunited with my stateroom steward Ketut who for some weird reason has asked for a transfer to another ship. I wonder why?

82 Responses to RIP TUXEDO

1. Rick says:

Hello John,

Hope you have gotten over the sniffles and are feeling better. Shame about the tux but it does seem to be true. I for one love getting tuxed up both for the formals and also the steak house.

• Mona says:

@Simon Haviland…was there a “please” in there somewhere that I missed??? sheesh

• norman warren says:

Hello John. I enjoy your blogs very much. Love your inside joke about Joseph Farcusov. Will be booking on the Splendor for Oct 28 Mexico cruise.Norman

• Philip B Hale Jr says:

After my third cruise I bought a tux and thanks to the culinary masters I no longer fit. I do wear a suit and tie for dress up night, but then I figured it out and apparently others have too…Dress up night is not for us but the photographers. I’ve grown tired after 14 cruises of getting a flash in my face every time I turn around by well meaning but VERY amateur photographers. The Cruise industry is the only one still using film and wet process prints. Kodak is bankrupt. The print prices like alcohol have outgrown my budget so I don’t play anymore. the horrendous waste of Photo paper and prime real estate on the ships is ridiculous. Bye Bye Tux, hopefully soon everyone will be able to check their photos on their in room set and pick up a thumb drive with their whole cruise set from the 5′x5′ photo shop soon. And we’ll be able to eat without photographers taking pictures of our dirty dishes on the table. Off on Valor in the AM
      Sail Ho!

2. Shana says:

Recently saw this post on the blog and had the same question..”I have read various comments about past guest parties..I have never been invited to one. How come?” Now we just took our second cruise in november but was looking forward to it and nothing… We were on the Elation out of NOLA. Do you only get the invites after your 2nd maybe?

• Rick Williamson says:

You should be from your 2nd cruise on. We have been each time from 2nd on the last one was #14. We have been on RC twice and on our 2nd cruise we got and invite on our past guests party also.

3. Linda (Mom of DJ) says:

John:

I used to have the most beautiful Designer Tux for Ladies.

I wore it for years.

For the lady who left her hot slot machine for a trip to the bathroom….

I bet she did not leave her Sail and Sign card in the Slot.

She has nothing to complain about.

Feel better soon…

Linda (Mom of your friend DJ)

4. Julianne Laird says:

I hope that you are feeling better! It is so miserable to be away from home when you are sick. I’ve been following your illness on FB all week, and I’ve definitely been keeping you in my thoughts.

You may be interested to know that we enjoy the casual attire onboard for two reasons. First, we are music teachers and performers, and we have to dress up for EVERYTHING! Second, we really try to pack light so that we can haul our bags on and off ourselves, and a suit/dress bag is just a little much to carry.
    I love your sense of humor and I look forward to all of your posts! All the best to you and your lovely family! We LOVE Carnival and are already booked for two more cruises within the year!

5. Rita presnell says:

Simon Haviland….regardless of the circumstances there is a correct way to ask for a favor….a please and thank you would be expected with your request!

6. Wallace says:

John: I think you don’t give due consideration to the collective epxerience of a party or event when you say that one person wearing jeans should not ruin a formal night for others. Would you feel likewise were all at a wedding able to select any attire? A senior prom? A presdidential inaugual? Her majesty’s diamond jubilee? In fact, these are collective events the the behavior and presentation of others does impact ones enjoyment. This is why hosts set the standard and specify black tie required or optional. As attendance at such events is not mandatory, if someone does not want to comply there is much they can busy themselves with elsewhere without intruding on the enjoyment of others.

• NoNeed4That says:

I agree 100%. There are plent of options for fellow cruisers who do not wish to dress well on formal night. The buffets are open or even room service. When we were on the Dream, Konstantyn our Maitre D’ did ask people to leave and we were very surprised. But I have to agree, we were dressed for the occassion and it was rather insulting that the neighboring tables came in tank tops and basketball shorts. I think Carnival needs to get it’s policies fleet-wide. If they enforce the dress code on the Dream, then it should be done for all ships. Let guests know their options. We have been on other cruises and skipped some formal nights because we were tired from the days activities. But we respected those who were attending and enjoyed room service on our balcony. Options people, Options….

• Chuck says:

I also agree 100% with Wallace- very well said. It seems to me that when everyone eating in the dining room on formal night is part of a tacit agreement to dress appropriately. The people in shorts, a tank top, and a hat have broken this agreement and have put themselves above everyone else.

7. Roy says:

John…

Although I do bring and wear a tuxedo on every cruise, I too have noticed a decline in the wearing of tuxedos on the ships. I think several things come into play.

First, Carnival is known for having the most relaxed atmosphere in the cruise industry, and people enjoy not having to get dressed up when they are on vacation. Another factor is that “formal” means different things to different people, and has to do with the part of the country or the world they are from. Being from the New York City area, to me formal means “Black Tie”. Third could be the cost factor. While it’s nice to show the world that we do clean up nicely at times, buying or renting a tux for a cruise, or even when you get onboard the ship may be an unneeded expense for some; and to be honest, if I had to decide between renting a tux or having a few extra snifters of Jack Daniels, I’d opt for the JD!!!!

I also notice that the first-time cruisers are less likely to tote along formal wear than are seasoned cruisers, and they don’t realize until it’s too late that you can get tuxedos onboard the ship. As I talk with other passengers, I am always surprised to see how many first-time Carnival cruisers there are onboard, and how they had no idea that some nights were formal. Some first-timers don’t even want to go to the dining room because they feel they would be under-dressed for the evening. I just tell them not to be concerned with that, and to look their best and go enjoy their dinner in the dining room, as they would on any other night.

What I do find amusing is because so few wear tuxedos, when I do wear a tuxedo and happen to be in the casino, people come up to me when their slot machine malfunctions, or they need help setting up their PIN code, or they want to know where the nearest bathroom is. Rest easy John, after 29 Carnival cruises, I just answer their questions and help them with whatever they need! I’ve even been asked if I knew my name tag was missing!

Oh, and I’ll be going on number 30 on the 25th on Destiny!

Keep up the good work John; your posts throughout the day, here and on Facebook, are a good distraction when I take a break at work!

Be well!

Roy

8. The Cruzin2some says:

I don’t think you should have ended the first part of the Blog by mentioning the girl’s short Disco dresses and Crack On in the same breath.
    The Cruzin2some

9. Duane says:

Dear John. I don’t think there are past guests parties for 3 day and 4 day cruises so if the guest took 9 of those she would not be invited to any.

Just a thought.
    Your mate : ) Duane

10. Linda (Mom of DJ) says:

Paul Bracali :

49 Carnival cruises (on most of the ships) and I have never run across anyone that I just could not understand when they spoke.

If these individuals can go to all the trouble to learn a second language well enough to pass the Coast Guard exam, then common courtesy would suggest that I can take the extra 15 SECONDS it might take to adapt to an accent.

And for the record, I still can not understand one word that Nascar driver Ward Burton says and he is was born and raised in the good ole USA!

Get over yourself…

11. Kathy Thompson says:

I don’t get it…do religious songs burn these people if they hear them or something? If so seems like they may need to look inside themselves for the reason. And I will be praying for them.

12. Linda (Mom of DJ) says:

Simon Haviland

Your wife should not be embarrased by her speech impediment.

She should be totally humiliated at your complete lack of common courtesy.

For future reference, the words to use are PLEASE and THANK YOU!

13. captnlen says:

John I know you and CCL keep saying the crew speak English. Well maybe they have a crib sheet they pass around for a test.

I recounted the need to get a hostess and 3 attempts to get a plain hamburger in the dining room and the fact th room steward had the key for the handicap auto door and when asked simply shook head and it took 2 days and going through GS, the hotel manager and the housekeeping manager to get him to give Jean the key, Sorry but on this issue you and CCL are wrong. captnlen

• Linda (Mom of DJ) says:

As I am reading this, it reminds me of a couple I witnessed on a cruise that was having trouble communicating with the crew….

but the problem was…no one could understand THE COUPLE.

(not even passengers like us trying to help them)

Yes, they were American.

• Cruiser Dave says:

That’s all well and good, but I can’t understand a word you just wrote either. Makes me think you should look in the mirror for a communication problem.

• Tom Head says:

Did you read what you wrote before sending it? If you did, then I think the problem is yours…. their spoken English is certainly better then your written English. Nothing you wrote makes sense.

14. Sharon Hecker says:

You know I’m a big fan of yours but in this case I have a bone to pick with you. I’m quite bewildered that one the one hand you write a blog bemoaning the demise of the tuxedo. But on the other hand you tell a cruiser complaining about diners wearing jeans in the MDR on ELEGANT night that you “don’t get it”. Exactly what point don’t you get – that it’s elegant night and the rules of dress weren’t enforced by Carnival personnel? Or why we care that there’s been a dumbing down of standards in recent years? It’s called a dress code for a reason, like a law. And if you don’t enforce a law, what happens? People do what they please. If you don’t care about how people dress, fine, then Carnival should just have an anything goes dress code. But until they actually do, it behooves them to enforce their own rules. And it’s poor form to tell someone who reports it that you “don’t get it” and ask them why they care. YOU should care, and it shouldn’t take a passenger to explain why.

15. Katie Zierk says:

Hello John,

I just want you to know that I have been on 6 Carnival Cruises and I have NEVER had any issue with communication on the ship. In fact if you take a little time and have a wee bit of patience I think everyone would find that the crew are wonderful people with great stories to tell! I always like to hear about where they are from and then daydream about traveling to far and exotic places.
    I hope you are feeling better. And I am looking forward to my cruise on the Carnival Fascination 3-8-12!!!

16. Terry says:

I can’t believe people complain what type a song someone sings at a talent contest. If a relegious song offends them, then they must be lacing morals.

17. Thank the Lord that lady went to the rest room to pee, I work in a casino and lots (and I mean lots!) of patrons just pee in the seats. Keeps the upholstery shop very busy. I guess she could wear an adult diaper..then she wouldn’t have to leave the slot machine at all!

18. Carnival Fan says:

We don’t wear Tuxedos for meatloaf and “gourmet burgers” on land…why do it on a ship. You might as well just put up a Boston Market sign at the entrance to the dining room, but that might be an insult to them. Give the servers a break and let them dress in jeans and cap like the fast food places. Oh sorry, they are too slow to deserve that!

Bring back the shrimp!

19. Helene Apper says:

How right you are about St. Petersburg. We hired a private guide off the ship and it was the most fabulous time. The sights are amazing and don’t leave without eating a true chicken kiev in Russia. We had my 14 year old son with us at the time. Please warn parents that the Russians don’t care how old you are…they expect the children to chug the vodka as well. Every store we went into, we had to chug the vodka. I think they figured we would spend more money that way (which of course we did) :) The history is just amazing!

20. Maribeth Kring says:

I still intend to wear evening gowns during elegant evenings on the bloggers cruise as I love to wear them. Hopefully I won’t feel out of place wearing them onboard. Elegant evening is the only chance I get to wear them as things are way too relaxed on land.

Another amazing video…..I must save up and see those ports someday!

21. Steve Worden says:

Well, if read correctly, I happen to agree with you on the dress code thingy. Price of cruise the opportunity to get out of a suit and tie and play leisure suit Larry or for those who rather get out of their factory garb (trust me I’ve spent 3 years making ALPO dog food when I was young ) and get a chance to dress up or anyone reason people have to choose or not to choose to participate in elegant night. Grand Suite .. $1200 per person for a 7 day cruise (for example) .. I’m there for vacation. I am not there to have to adhere to the rules I had to in the ’60s for a dress code in High School.. True.. Some discretion and decency is required. But a dress code on a cruise ship ..(true story) where the morning show on the Dream asks you to jump fully clothed into the pool on the Lido deck…Well how anyone ask you to do that and then require something like a Tux is contradictory. FUN SHIPS .. are FUN SHIPS! High School makes sure you read the codes every day to make sure you don’t get in trouble. Difference, is I didn’t pay my hard earned money to go to High School for a Vacation. And on my last cruise the Rules and Regs book was not in the suite and I was never able to get one. People take cruises for different reasons. I respect those who like the dress up nights, I respect those who don’t want to participate in that. And I respect any cruise line that respects both. Your Submariner Friend .. Steve

22. SherryBee says:

Maybe the guest who was upset about the slot machine should invest in a few Depends when she sails again! Too funny! They are called “games of CHANCE” for a reason!

23. Dennis Perkins says:

The question about the dress in the dining room was not properly answered..Why have “any” dress code if you are not going to enforce it..I always thought you needed to wear a shirt with a collar in the dining room..This is why people call Carnival the “Walmart of ther Seas’..and this is from a Milestone cruiser

24. Stan Foster says:

Great mini review of the excursions on the new destination for the Legend ( One of my favorites). I agree with you 100% on the Tux issue. I have seen less and less of them and I have grown to enjoy that myself. Im on vacation and like to dress relaxed. If that means Im of a lesser quality cruiser group, sign me up.

25. Rick says:

i have been reading a lot about life on board for the crew. Having just read about the limit on visiting St. Petersburg to excursions only and the lengthy excursions, will any crew get to experience this port? More just my curious nature.

Rick

• jim says:

Hi Rick,
      I am a crew member and spent a full sason doing the Baltic. Customs lines were never that bad once guests were off the ship and we could go out all night if we wanted to. There’s great nightlife there as well and we never saw any issues. Only thing is the bridges open up at night so you cannot make it back to the ship between 2am-5am on most days…

26. Pdxtender says:

My husband wore his Tux on our last cruise. It is a vintage one that looks more like today’s suit,but it has a black silky collor. He wears it with his regular tie and no cummberbun. It makes me wonder how many of those regular suits are really Vintage tux’s?

27. Mohammed Ali says:

I best noticed this trend on my recent cruise on Holland America’s Veendam. It was formal night, and I wore a tuxedo. I was the only guest that I can see in such attire, even my waiter in the MDR remarked that it was such a rarity to see them these days. I remember on a 2005 cruise on one of RCI’s ships, I was the only one NOT in a tuxedo, same goes for CCLs ships of the day. It seems times change, but it would really be a shame to see the end of the good old tux.

Even on a Seabourn cruise in 2010 they were not in abundance, business suits were the order of the day.

In all honesty, I think its just us and the Brits that make a good old deal of wearing them come formal night.

28. Wow. Really can’t get over Jennifer’s comment or what to say other than May God Bless You. And also to check this out:

from your blog:

Scroll down to Claude (Clyde?).

29. Judy says:

I have looked around the Carnival website and tried to find Zumba activities onboard the ships. I am sailing on the Freedom in September 2012 and would LOVE to have some Zumba classes while at sea. Any chance you could make that happen?

Thanks!

30. Jeff Thomson says:

We just booked the awesome middle leg of the South America cruise in Feb. 2013. Hopefully you’ll be the CD on this incredible trip!
    Jeff

• Robert F Shay says:

Lucky Bugger, I want to do that cruise so bad, but a combination of lack of time, and money, mean no can do. have a great time.

31. Tiffany says:

I agree with you, John, there’s something to be said for looking your best! I do wish they would tell people in t-shirts to hit the Lido deck! My husband is a factory worker and spends his days in jeans and steel-toed boots. But loves the chance to bring his tux on our cruises and get all dressed up! We sailed the Valor two years ago with the whole family – 18 adults and kids – and all the guys wore a tux … even the little boys! They looked awesome! We cruise again next Christmas and my husband and our 8 year old may be the only ones who do it – but they’ll wear tuxes for elegant night!

Thanks for your blog! It’s a lot of fun!

• Carolyn Gail says:

The point most of you seem to be missing is John is NOT speaking for Carnival, this blog is his,and his opinions are his own point of view. And like myself and lots of other people we don’t get it…. If you want to dress up as SUGGESTED by Carnival,go for it. PLEASE, this IS NOT a wedding,not an event hosted by a Queen, this is MY vacation. This has nothing to do with Wal Mart, this is about 2012 and times are changing,go with it. So Why sail on Carnival over and over if it bothers you so much that you can’t even enjoy your nice dinner in your formal wear because you might have to look over at jeans and a t shirt. Why not just be grateful that you are on a cruise, stop complaining, and stop judging other people when you don’t know their story. Why should a person who doesn’t own formal wear but looks clean and decent not be able to enjoy the MDR instead of having to go to the buffet because it bothers some people who think they are better than them?? Why can’t you Just enjoy your table with family and friends and don’t let it bother you, life is too short. Again I agree, I just don’t get it, and never will.

• Cruiser Dave says:

Next time your hubby takes you out to a fancy restaurant for your anniversary, and you go all out to pretty yourself up and dress nicely, how are you going to feel sitting across from him when he is dressed in jeans and t-shirt? If you feel the least bit slighted because he couldn’t be bothered, then you will “get it”.

• Richard Taylor says:

As an oldie Brit I can emphasise with wanting to look good and have Elegant or Formal nights to do so. BUT, I no longer fit (and haven’t for decades) my Dinner Suit (Tuxedo Brit style!) That went to the Oxfam shop years ago. Because I would so rarely wear it I didn’t replace it – too expensive. Also it weighs a lot and that’s a lot of my baggage allowance gone for what a night or two? No way.
      Now a nice dark suit I do like to own, in whatever size I am at the time of the occasion demanding it! And the Jacket and trousers can be worn with other clothes.
      So I might well take it as it’s several items in one, and will cover quite a few nights. Reduces the use of other trousers for days ashore and around the ship.
      The suit then reduces the amount of other clothes to pack into my airline’s 50lb allowance!
      I suspect that Tux wearing was at its height when there were no limits on hold baggage on planes.

32. Ron & Ann Thornburgh says:

We just returned from our B2B on the Elation.
    I travel with my granddaughter Emily who is developmentally delayed. We had a fantastic time as always. I would like to acknowledge several of the staff who I feel went out of their way to make our cruise a success. First of all we had YTD in the Imagination Dining Room. The first night we were seated in the station headed by Mehmet from Turkey. He introduced himself and asked our names. When our dinner arrived he asked if my granddaughter needed assistance in cutting her meat up and proceeded to cut it up for her!! This is the first time any waiter has even suggested helping her with this task..I usually have to reach across the table to assist her. We requested Mehmet’s station the entire cruise and he and his assistant’s Ketut and Luckson were always there to greet us and assist in any way they could. If we encountered any of them on Lido during breakfast or lunch they made a point of coming over and talking to us and asking how our day was going. While in the MDR I observed that they were attentive to all the guests. Mehmet never failed to introduce himself to the guests. He is truly a asset to Carnival.

Our cabin steward Indi was also a gem. He took such good care of us and our cabin. He always greeted us by name and with a smile.

We enjoyed the new shows “Rock” and “Win” and our cruise director Jeff was great.

Thanks again Carnival for another great cruise.

Ann Thornburgh

• Dean Bogart says:

Mehmet was the best server we experienced on our Elation Cruise early in 2011. He exemplifies the standards that we used to expect from all servers. He was so different from our Carnival Triumph server from the year before where we were never greeted upon arrival or spoken to at the end of the meal. He even had us lick our forks clean as he did not want to bring clean silverware with different courses. Mehmet will be long remembered!

33. Stanley Krol says:

A comment about formal night! I myself enjoy dressing up in my best. Looking great. It isn’t a problem, or a burden to look descent once or twice in a week. Get out of your pajamas and put on something worth looking at. So on the Liberty I will stand out like a sore thumb wearing my tuxedo.

34. Babs says:

I so much enjoy your daily posts. They make me smile. And as we are approaching our 10th (VIP) cruise had to tell you not only are the cruise directors, social hosts, and staff more than ever expected, the agents you speak to when booking your cruise are even more so. I as lucky enough to have John Mendez help me book my family and he was so accomodating and understanding and funny and not a bit pushy. He offered many ideas for ports we were stopping at and recommended some local restaurants too. We are very happy with Carnival and all of our experiences. This cruise we are celebrating my husbands 60th birthday and know it will be amazing. Thank you

35. sparks1093 says:

I had hoped to experience a traditional cruising experience on CCL but find that I will have to settle for NCL lite. I will no doubt have a good time anyway. (Yes, I understand that I can still wear a tux, but I’m not going to go out of my way to stand out.)

36. Linda says:

When everyone dresses up it lends a more elegant atmosphere to the evening. Of course it matters when some show up in jeans! The aura of a “special” night is marred for all. It’s like a Christmas tree half decorated.
    Our extended family (of 15) just completed a (first, for most)Carnival Cruise, and the formal dinner was a highlight..especially for the kids. We all dressed up, men and boys in tuxedos, as did a number of others. I do wish it was still a requirement in the main dining room. Those who prefer going casual have other dining options for that evening.

37. Cruiser Dave says:

Why should anyone care how someone else dresses? Because, like manners, appropriate dress signifies your level of respect for your fellow travellers. So just as you would cause offence by butting into line or talking rudely, so too does one give the metaphorical finger to everyone else when he shows up on elegant night in jeans and t-shirt. That is why most of us do a slow boil when Carnival aids and abets in the disintegration of a class act by failing to enforce its own dress code.

• Rick says:

You really do judge a book by its cover, don’t you.

• John: I hope you are feeling better. I have a few comments I like to make.
      Yes, Carnival Freedom is usually number 1 because they are truly great, in service and entertainment. Brad was fantastic, very approachable, funny, and, a compliment to Carnival.
      I have just come off my 13th Carnival cruise, and, I have never had a problem understanding or being understood by the personnel. I have also traveled on other cruise lines who also have international employees. I am sure they work harder than most American young men/women would ever do. I am American, so I know for a fact. Language is not a problem, the problem lies with the people who claim they cannot understand the help. How many of you speak a second language? Maybe they can’t understand you.
      As for how I dress or how you dress is not a problem for me. I like to dress up on Elegant/Formal evenings. Why are they called Elegant or Formal if you can wear jeans? As others have stated, there are other areas to dress down, but, if you care to come into the MDR, that too is fine with me.
      I am also tired of reading nasty letters to John. There are nice ways of saying things, and, asking for things too.
      Sorry for all these comments, but, I had to put my 2 cents in.
      Marie

• Dean Bogart says:

Dave, I appreciated your comments about manners. Following a dress code is about respect and manners. Dining options are provided for all levels of dress. However, if you carefully read the explanation of the dress code in the Fun Times for an “elegant night”, jeans and dressy shorts for men are allowed. Carnival is trying to walk on both sides of the fence.

38. Robert F Shay says:

To: Jennifer Reiss, Religious freedom is just that, FREEDOM, yes,FREEDOM, means that whoever sung the religious song, has just as much a right as you do to get up and leave, if you don’t like it. I need you to tell me why someone singing about anything, I repeat anything, would bother you, remember Religious freedom dosen’t mean everybody has to practice YOUR beliefs, yes you don’t have the right to force your atheisim on a Christian, more than they have the right to force, their Christianity on you. to them if you got up and sung a song about being a atheist, that might be offensive to them, and yes they would have the right to get up and leave….OR… maybe sit their and listen to your musical talent, and maybe be exsposed to a different train of thought. BTW, in case your wondering, I’m Agnostic, and to hear someone sing a song of faith dosen’t bother me in the least, maybe you should open your closed mind and enjoy the music.

39. Michael Hawkins says:

Hi John, the lovely wife, Sandy, and I wish we could on the “Bloggers” cruise but instead, due to the fantastic prices, booked TWO cruises on the Triumph! We just returned from the first one and will debark on the second one on February 27. Our waitstaff in the Paris Dining room were stupendous! I wanted to give a “shoutout” to Alfredo and Ronnie and I have spoken to the maitre d requesting them once again in two weeks. We chose to sleep in many mornings and our cabin steward was so kind as to learn our sleeping habits and to not impose upon us as we we rested. Kudos for the entire staff!

40. gregcourington says:

Just read a small comment concerning the singing of religious songs that appeared to aggravate a platinum guest. As a platinum member myself I do know that the seats in the theater do not have seatbelts and no armed guards force you stay. Go to the Lido Deck walk around some, have some soft serve and cool off.

41. chris Benson says:

John, when you are off to met the beards and Mr Ariston at a nice restaurant please wear your jeans and tee shirt when you have dinner. I think “you will get it”. If Carnival wants to reduce their dining rooms to wear what you want, Carnival will get what it allows. Not everyone can or will want to wear a tuxedo but it is not to much to expect people to have a reasonable dress standard. If your ships do not why should the passengers? For once John could not disagree with you more.

42. Ian says:

I agree about the tuxedo it’s kinda cool to wear it on a cruise as most of us have no other venue to wear one. Also lose the hats when sitting done to eat especially in the dining room

43. vicki says:

Just so you know John, we are doing the Baltics this spring with NCL 0 and there is a private tour compnay – St Petersburg Tours thaat DOES include a visa. They take care of everything and of course, it;s less expensive than bookinh with NCL (or Carnival)

44. Mike says:

Hi
    We are coming from the UK and have ever only cruised with RCI so this is a first on Carnival. We have 3 kids, 18,16 and 13 and are you saying in formal nights that most people just wear normal suits now. Is that the majority as I don’t want to look like a family of plonkers !!
    So is it normal suits all round ?

45. Tom says:

This is a US cruise. We have freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion. Let the people sing.

46. Margaret Ramstad says:

John, I do appreciate your comments regarding the demise of the tuxedo and “casual” elegance. While I have yet to set sail on my first cruise April 1st, on the Freedom, I am very much looking forward to Elegant night. I rarely get to play dress up. As I’ve heard, being on ship is somewhat surreal – might as well take it to the max, all glitz and glitter!

So quick question…. I am travelling with my sister and and she is turning 50 while we are cruising on April 6th. I was hoping it was going to be an elegant night, but it is packing night as we debarked the following day. Now the universe has somehow appointed me the job of embarrassing my sister at opportune moments, like picking her up at airports, etc. I want to make her 50th birthday ‘memorable’. I already have the ocean suite and spa plans for the 6th. But I’d like to do something special for dinner. She has no one to fuss over her, that is also my job. I’m delighted to be able to share this time with her, and give back to her all she does for me. Any ideas would be appreciated. Love your blog, your wit, your wisdom. Hope your feeling better. Hugs

We are on the Freedom, April1-7th, 2012, 85x8x3

47. Angela Henkel says:

Hi John, I read your blog religiously and not only was excited to see you answer my question, but I was actually reading it on my phone as I turned it on coming back this morning from a 3 day cruise on the Imagination. This being my 7th Carnival cruise and my 8th is booked this May on the Valor- that one again with my parents. I appreciate your explanation and agree that the food and service is top notch. We also met a couple this cruise who cruised Carnival for the first time, coming over from other cruise lines and they also commented that they thought the food was better on Carnival.

Again, we will be on an 8 day on the Valor on May 11th and even though it has been 1 hour since I have left a ship, I am counting the days until that one. Thanks again!!

48. David Stern says:

As a single cruiser (15+) with Carnival, I think Carnival needs to be adding some single cabins when they upgrade the ships. I understand why they like doubles but it is killing me when I have to pay 200% for a trip. Norwegian has started this trend.

49. Donna says:

I have a question about the past guest parties as well. I have been on 6 Carnival cruises and have only been invited to one party. That was on a 7-night cruise though. Is it maybe only the longer cruises (7-nights and above) that have past-guest parties? That was my only 7-night (the rest have been mostly 5-nights) and that was my guess as to why it had been my only invitation.

• Sue says:

I wonder why there would be a limit on the length of the cruise… a past guest is a past guest – isn’t that true? This is my 2nd coming up -(6 nights) but my 1st was only 4 nights. Perhaps I’m not going to be part of the parties either. :( (sniff, sniff, sniff).

50. jgeraci says:

Please re check your information about Brazilian visas?! When we cruised there in 2009 on Splendor, all Americans had to have a visa in hand before we could even board the ship in Florida. This is something no one wants to be misinformed about!
    JoyceG

51. Jamie says:

Wow! You are awesome! I LOVE your comments to the (ridiculous) complaints. You have truly mastered witty!

52. Surfwench says:

Dear John: I for one am very happy with the relaxation of dress standards in the MDR on elegant nights. My husband has not relaxed his standards of dress one bit and I notice dozens, literally dozens of female eyes appreciatively look his way when we enter the MDR. Like the ZZ Top song, every girl’s crazy ’bout a sharp dressed man. Perhaps on elegant night there could be a separate dining area for those who wish to continue the tradition? Maybe with champagne and a dancing band? Could be fun.

53. Sharon says:

John, you are a SAINT! I am ever amazed at some of the things folks say on your blog! Yet, you remain kind, respectful and helpful. At times, you must feel as if you truly are on a ‘Ship of Fools’!

Rock on, John!

54. Robbie Boquet says:

Josh and I wore our tuxedoes on Carnival Magic last week for the first formal night as we have done traditionally on all of our cruises on Carnival. This trip in particular, we sat alone at a table for 6 as the other guests assigned to our table never showed up for the duration of the 7 day cruise. We saw only a handful (at most) of other guys in tuxedoes as we walked the Promenade deck- which was difficult to do by the way with all the photography stuff blocking the way and so many people trying to get through what room was left to walk. Not that I mind dressing up for “cruise elegant” night, it just felt like a waste of doing so for us since there was hardly anyone to see us or interact with us directly except for our waiters in the dining room. Oh well. We will probably still continue to wear our tuxes for formal nights regardless of that. Maybe next time things will be different.

55. Tamara says:

I just got back from my cruise on the carnival splendor march 11-18 on a mother daughter trip had a great trip but be aware of the mini golf green to close to the wall of the ship does not give you hardly any walking space.I had a very bad fall ended up getting a black and blue and a goose egg and a bloody and a infected knee I also got a bad reaction to the dressings.For the rest of the trip I had to spend my mornings in medical getting my dressings changed.
    (I WAS NOT EXPECTING TO BRING HOME A BLACK AND BLUE KNEE ).

56. Pingback: backlink