SNORKELING IN VENICE, POCKETS PICKED IN ROME

April 24, 2013 -

Let’s start today with one of our most popular excursions in the Mediterranean, in April ………. snorkeling!

From: LEGEND GUEST SERVICES

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:14 PM

To: LEGEND CRUISE DIRECTOR

Cc: LEGEND ASSISTANT CRUISE DIRECTOR; LEGEND GUEST SERVICES MANAGER; LEGEND SHORE EXCURSION MANAGER; LEGEND GUEST SERVICES SUPERVISOR; LEGEND GUEST SERVICES

Subject: CABIN **** – NO SNORKEL TOUR

Good evening John,

Please be advised Mr. and Mrs. ———— from ——— wanted to talk to you about not having any snorkel tours in the ports. They have read the tour description sheet and attended your talk and want to speak to you about their disappointment. Kindly assist.

Guest Services Associate, Carnival Legend

And they are correct, of course, we don’t have any snorkel tours in any other ports and while I can understand that this may be disappointing for them as they are avid snorkel people, I did not expect them to be so bitter about this when I spoke to them. I don’t mean to sound patronizing but did they choose a Med cruise to see Nemo and his mates and ignore such wonders as Tuscany, Pompeii, the Vatican and St. Marks Square? Well, apparently, the answer to my question is yes because they were really upset and indeed had traveled all the way from Indiana with their own snorkel, mask and fins. I have asked our agent in Olbia and in Dubrovnik to see if they can recommend anywhere for them to go on their own and hopefully they will be able to help.

I have never understood the joys of snorkeling even though thousands of you will be shaking your heads and disagreeing with me and certainly our snorkel tours in the Caribbean are our most popular, as is the snorkel tour in the Sistine Chapel.  Personally, I just don’t see the fascination with swimming, let along swimming in the sea. God decided when he made the earth that he would put most of the nasty creatures underwater could not breathe under water so that’s where he put the nasty stuff and kept the cuddly stuff, koala bears, panda bears and Latvians, etc. on dry land. Plus, what happens if you accidentally swim in to a flock of jellyfish? You will feel like you are on fire and as you swim back to shore screaming in agony and once you lay on the sand screaming “aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhm,” a Frenchman wearing Speedos will urinate on you because it is supposed to help the sting.  Even if you manage to miss the jellyfish, there are fish that burrow under the sand and if bitten your feet swell up three times their size. And not even a Frenchman with a bladder problem is going to cure that.

Time for today’s Q and A – off we go.

Ginger and Kayla asks:

Hi John! I have had a few sailings with Carnival and wanted to say that I have always had a great experience! I took my mom and daughter last year in July on the Carnival Magic and we had a blast! My daughter had such a good time, she is still talking about it! I just booked us another one on the Carnvial Triumph for the end of May! Thanks to everyone who make sure that we are happy and taken care of!!

Ginger and Kayla

Hello Ginger and Kayla,

What a wonderfully positive start to today’s Q&A and I am thrilled to read that you both had such a great time. I will make sure the Carnival Magic team gets to see these words of praise and I hope we see you again very soon.

Best wishes to you both.

Bruce Glancey asks:

I just returned from my cruise and what a scam the spa seminar was. I went to one called “secrets of detox and weight loss” and listened to some dumb and ignorant South African girl try and sell me stuff. The art class was the same and it was written in the compass that we would be told about “how to start an art collection” but was just one hour of a man from Romania trying to sell art. Since when is Romania known for their art experts? WTF! If you are going to promote these “lectures,” then that is what they should be and not just a ploy to sell stuff.

Hello Bruce Glancey,

First of all I hope you were on a Carnival ship because you used the word “compass” which I think is the RCI version of our Fun Times. I appreciate your comments and will make sure they are passed on to the right people. I know that during both the events you mentioned there are indeed some good tips and advice but I also know that there is mention of the products and services they offer on board. I guess it’s a question of finding the right balance between the two and I apologise if during your cruise you thought we did not.  I do hope you had a good cruise and I do hope even more so that you were actually on a Carnival ship.

Raymond Davies asks:

I also only want to eat at a table for two when I am on my cruises. I know of no other environment where you would walk into a fine restaurant and expect that you would be paired with people you have never met before and expect to eat a meal with them. This is ludicrous. Carnival should have only tables for two and four because I would say that the majority of your passengers would prefer to eat with their family and not with people they have never met, have nothing in common with and who have different interests and are on a different rung of the social ladder.

Hello Raymond Davies,

You are right, of course. Being seated at a table with people you have never met before does seem a crazy idea, right? And on land, in restaurants and hotels it would be laughed at. Yet on ships, it works. You see there is, in my opinion, something different about cruise ships where passengers want to meet new friends and meet new people at dinner. It isn’t just at dinner where friendships are forged. I stay in hotels many times each year and while I see people walk past each other in hotel corridors or stand in elevators or sit at breakfast three feet away from another table……not a word will be said. There will be no greeting, no hello and no “Are you having fun and enjoying your stay?” And that for the very most part is not the case on ships. Our guests talk to each other, they want to make new friends and this is one of the many reasons why cruising continues to be so popular. Yes, there are those who want to eat with only their family members but there are far more who love to meet new people. There is the old saying that on a cruise there are no strangers, just people you haven’t met yet. Anyway, we have an excellent balance of private tables and larger tables so we are able to accommodate most requests and I am here to do that for you should you ask me? Thanks for writing to me.

Teo Lama asks:

Hello Mr. Heald – Thanks for all your hard work answering everyone’s questions.  I cruised on Carnival Glory on 3/3/13 seven-day western Caribbean an enjoyed it very much. The food and drinks were great. The crew as always worked very hard and were friendly. The shows in the theatre were amazing and more than I expected. My dining room staff in the Platinum dining room, Barlam, Vitali, and I Nyouman were great. Marco, my room steward, was excellent also.

But there were two things I didn’t enjoy during my cruise. Next door to me were four high school students and every night at 3am-5am, they would come down the hallway yelling and stomping, enter their room and have what sounded like wrestling matches. My point is that I came to

find out that the parents were across the hall instead of in the room next door so they were spared from the ruckus. I wish Carnival would have a policy were parents would have to stay in adjoining rooms to their ridiculously inconsiderate kids so they can share in the misery. Security was called several times but the parents could have cared less or couldn’t control them. I don’t know. The other issue was the cabin doors on Carnival Glory. The rooms were very nice and the doors are very sturdy.  But it seems like the doors slam shut making a loud banging noise. This made it impossible to sleep in late, take a nap in the afternoon, or even sleep at night. Maybe in the future. the doors could be retrofitted or designed so that they don’t slam or make such a loud noise when closing. Other than those two things, I really enjoyed my cruise and the service provided. Thank You.

Teo

Hello Teo Lama,

I am so glad you had fun and I will pass on your kind words to the people on board and I know they will be thrilled. I am though sorry to hear that the actions of your neighbors disturbed your sleep and I will bring this to the ship’s attention. Please do remember that with situations like this to call the guest services desk so that we can send security to speak to them and, again, I apologise that they disturbed you. I hate the slamming of doors, it is a pet peeve of mine for sure, and, even now as a CD here on Carnival Legend, I have asked guests on the PA system not to do it. Thanks then for the review, I will pass it on and I hope we see you again very soon.

Suzie Chan asks:

My five-year-old son was on his first cruise on the Carnival Imagination and was so scared of the towel animals that he was inconsolable and in hysterics. We spoke to the cabin boy and he stopped making them. We are back with Carnival for the 5/27 Carnival Victory cruise and want to make sure that we get no towel animals. The cabin we are in is **** so can you guarantee that we won’t have these animals again because my son was hysterical and I will not have him put through that again?!!

Hello Suzie Chan,

I am so sorry that the towel animals upset your son and, certainly, I will make sure that the stateroom stewards, as is their official title, will not make them this time. I have sent the note to the ship and all will be well I am sure. I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Bill Tindle asks:

Dear John, my wife and I will be with you on the Carnival Legend for our first taste of the Carnival experience. I found this site thanks to some nice people on another website who were standing up for you because some rather nasty people were making some jokes about your weight. I am a 300-pound man myself and so I also told the writers of these hateful things what they could do! I will be with you in June and would like, if at all possible, for you to please arrange a chair without arms for me otherwise I will have to carry that chair around with all cruise long as I will be wedged in it. I have my details here and hope that you can help. Thanks John, I have read posts from lots of people who say how kind and funny you are so don’t worry about posters on _____- like ______ and ____ and ______and just keep being you. Cannot wait for me and the family to meet you and see these European ports. Booking number ******.

Sincerely,

Bill Garcia

Hello Bill Garcia,

I laughed when I thought of you walking down Promenade here on the Carnival Legend with a chair stuck to your bottom. What a wonderful image and one that I can certainly associate myself with. I deleted the names of the posters you mentioned only because they are pointless and because what’s more important is that you have a great time with us here on the Carnival Legend. Please don’t worry about the chair, I will make sure you are comfortable and, if you can, please send me your cabin number on my FB page if you have FB. If not don’t worry as I have marked this on my calendar so I don’t forget. Thanks for thinking of me, that was very kind and I hope this will be the first of many cruises with us.

Robert Short asks:

Mr. Heald: I just wanted to make a few points regarding the cruise that a group of 16 others and I took on the Carnival Liberty March 2. First, the weather didn’t even reach 75 degrees on the first three days, and I don’t think that’s appropriate weather for a “Caribbean cruise” and I want to know what you and the beards are going to do about it!? Especially considering it was supposed to be our spring break and Megan Fox was not even in my room. I demand some sort of compensation. Bollocks. Second, the entire crew was fantastic, the food was great, and I really don’t know where we could beat the value. Third, I have to send complete admiration for Andy Ferguson, one of your most talented musicians. He is the best we have all heard and we all

appreciate him entertaining us on the pool deck nightly.  Make sure Mr. Arison and the beards get that. And, lastly, Karl, our cruise director, was great! You were our first cruise director back in 2008 on the Carnival Freedom, and although I’m not saying he’s better than you six cruises later, he’s pretty close. So to sum it up… Thank you all for a phenomenal time!

Robert Short

Hello Robert Short,

You had me going there, you really did and it wasn’t until I saw Megan’s name that I realised that you were having me on. I am so glad you had fun and I will make sure Karl and Andrew get to see your words of superb praise. I hope we get to sail together very soon and, until then, I am here if you need anything. Thanks again and congratulations on the post, you had me there.

Mickey Brown asks:

Sir John: I recently completed the final voyage of Carnival Destiny from Miami to Venice and I must say I had a great time on a grand vessel. This was my first trans-Atlantic crossing, longest cruise I have taken, and the first time cruising the med. Generally the seas and weather were

FANTASTIC – nine straight days at sea and NO ROUGH WATER.  So, anyway, I wanted to give you a general review of this journey but I will keep it brief.

THE SHIP – Destiny is a great ship and I will miss her as Carnival Destiny. I was able to take the Behind the Fun tour which was very educational and was much fun. For me the highlights were the visit to the bridge and the laundry room. I think there was a washing machine there that was reserved for JH’s underpants (kidding, of course) but I have a great respect for the laundry staff and for Captain Giusa. I will, however, be anxious to see how Carnival Destiny is transformed into Carnival Sunshine and will be booking a cruise on Carnival Sunshine soon.

FOOD – Brilliant, as always. And this time I tried frog’s legs for the first time.  Tastes like chicken. Otherwise, great food and a great dining room staff.

STATEROOM – I had one of the newly renovated balcony rooms and it was great. Our room steward, NINJA, was superb and very attentive to our needs and kept our ice bucket FULL.

NOONAN and SHIPBOARD activities – What can I say, short of JH being the CD, NOONAN was great. He kept us busy and entertained. I attended his LIVE morning show in the Palladium most every morning and even called in once. We participated in many of the activities – my wife doing the In Under 60 Seconds game, me being hypnotized by Peter Gross, the water slide, hot tubs, trivia, etc. We were not bored. In fact we came home with six ships on a stick and about eight medallions.

LAND TOURS – The land tours we took in Malaga, Livorno, and Civitavecchia were great and must do’s. Picasso museum, Ponte Vecchio in Florence, the Lunch in Florence and Rome, Vatican, etc. Great. I did however did not care for the Barcelona city tour.  Next time here I will do the HopOn HopOff bus.

PORTS – Malaga was great and I think Carnival needs to make this a regular port of call.  Barcelona was fun, but my not favorite port. Livorno, Civitavecchia and Venice without a doubt were beyond brilliant.

WEATHER — The entire trip was great – smooth seas and sunshine for the most part. We did have zero visibility fog one day that I awakened to the sound of the ships fog horn. When we did arrive in Venice, it was, however, very cold and there was SNOW on the ground. We were fortunate enough to NOT have to have to walk through water in Venice as the water levels were normal.

KUDOS – Kudos to all and especially the tour desk and the tour companies in Livorno. My wife had accidentally left her cell phone on the bus in Livorno and, when we discovered it was missing upon returning to our stateroom, we called guest service and the tour desk and to make a long story short, the cell phone was recovered and waiting for us in Civitavecchia the next morning.

LANDMARKS while cruising – Cruising through Gibraltar was fun even though at 3:30 am, we couldn’t see any landmarks except the lights. Stromboli was steaming as we cruised by as Aetna was steaming a bit as well as we passed through the Messina straight. Water and more water – nine straight days at sea was a lot and in those nine days we saw no land and one fishing trawler.  When in Civi, we did see the Costa Magica and she looked brilliant all lit up at night.

OK – now for the not so great things. I was disappointed that there was NO cruise loyalty desk on board as I was ready to book with a deposit but could not as I was hoping to see how the no voucher program worked. Maybe next time. I was also a bit surprised that there was not as much hype about this being Carnival Destiny’s final voyage. I liked the idea of the crew taking a final team photo and then the passengers joining in on the fun, but to get a copy of that photo was going to cost $21.95.

BUT HERE IS A PRAISE: I like the fact that Carnival had a check-in counter at the Miami airport. Did not know that was there until I gathered my baggage – this saved SOOOO much time. Only suggest that if you can add more agents to do more check ins, do it.

So in summary, this was a brilliant cruise that had great value to this cruiser. Loved everything about the cruise and my visit to Europe.

And as a suggestion for all, when you all return back to the U.S., make sure that when you check the box on the declaration form that says no fruits and veggies, make sure you really have none.  You see Barney, the fruit-sniffing Customs beagle in Seattle, found an apple so we got some extra attention from Barney Fife as he wanted to see the apple that was squished between two pairs of my drawls. Hope he liked that apple.

So thanks to CCL and crew of Carnival Destiny for this vacation the trip of a life time.

Hello Mikey Brown,

That post should have started with a fanfare and ended with a standing ovation. It was brilliant and thank you for sharing with us the final voyage of the good ship Carnival Destiny. I am sure that she will have a brilliant future and I hope that you will get to sail on her soon. Again, thanks for this superb account of your voyage and I shall take great care in sharing this with many people.

So a very good morning from somewhere in the Mediterranean. It is 6:50 am and here I am in my usual pair of blogging underpants writing to all of you. Today is our sea day and we have only two this voyage and both are our elegant nights. And while many guests will make the effort to dress formally, some will decide not to and as it is their vacation so who are we I say to tell them otherwise? Anyway, that’s a topic that we have discussed too many times but let me also say that, as usual in Europe, there are some guests who want to dress elegantly but can’t and that’s because we have 22 missing pieces of luggage which the airlines have misplaced between the U.S. and Canada and their final destination in Barcelona.

From: LEGEND GUEST SERVICES

To: LEGEND CRUISE DIRECTOR

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:55 PM

Subject: Cabin ____ Has lost luggage

Mrs. _______ called again asking about their luggage lost by Air Canada. Guest was very upset saying that it was Carnival’s responsibility to find this luggage. John, the guest says she reads your blog and wants to talk to you because she says that she cannot now go to the D/R on elegant night. Thanks and regards.

Guest Services Associate

It is obvious that it is frustration that made the guest upset and I can totally sympathise with her but in unfortunately this isn’t Carnival’s responsibility. If you lose your luggage on your way to Miami as I once did, thanks to American Airlines, would you expect the hotel you are staying in to find it for you? This is not a sarcastic question; it’s just a question – and I think we know the answer. When American lost my bags that time I was staying at the Intercontinentalmarriotthyatt and I never thought to go up to the desk and ask Yolanda the receptionist to call BA and get my spare pair of underpants here now! But we are not the Intercontinentalmarriotthyatt and so I will speak to the guest and make sure she knows we are doing all we can to help and meanwhile assure her that tonight, elegant night, she can enter the dining room wearing whatever she has as she deserves to enjoy her meal as much as anyone.

Yesterday we were in Palma de Majorca and as I briefly mentioned on Facebook yesterday it was a beautiful sunny day, spoiled only by those pick pocketing bastards who managed to use their skills to pick the pockets of two of our guests and one of our crew members. These bastards are everywhere in Europe and even though I make extensive announcements in my travel talks and remind guests over the PA system, I am afraid cruise ship guests and land based tourists are still falling victim to these clever artists.  The worst places are Barcelona and Rome, although I understand that Paris has a big problem too. Last season on the Carnival Breeze, I did my best to warn everyone as I did here in my travel talk on embarkation day but to no avail, it seems.

Looking back to 2012, Rome was the worst and I was specific in my talks about this. I warned the guests that teams of pickpockets dress as tourists and work in groups in the most crowded parts of the city like the Trevi Fountain and St. Peter’s Square. If you’re not concentrating, you don’t stand a chance. Next time you’re trying to work out what shoulder you throw the lucky coin over you might want to pay attention to the people around you.

Pickpockets go where the most tourists go such as Las Ramblas, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, St. Peter’s Square and the Coliseum are all places where our Carnival Breeze guests fell victim to the dippers. OK, I may be making it sound like there are hundreds of incidents each cruise and, of course, there are not, but it does happen and it’s something that travelers need to be aware of. My advice is based on what the locals tell me and the tour operators we work with. They say leave your proper wallet, your eye phone and your designer purse on the ship. Don’t carry back packs because they are the easiest for these robbing wankers to steal from, for obvious purposes. Don’t leave your cell on the table while having your lunch on the Piazza. And if a gypsy-looking couple approaches you with a baby, watch them like a hawk because these two ladies who are begging you for money are using the baby as a distraction. Don’t be shy here, be ruthless and tell them to go away as loudly as possible.

And finally do what I do now when the rare occasion happens and I get off the ship. I carry a dummy wallet in my pocket. It’s a tatty old thing I found in a drawer at home. I keep it in my trouser pocket as I walk around and it looks really thick as though I have lots of money in it. I am hoping some thieving bastard pick pockets me because when he gets back to his shack to count his takings he will open my wallet to discover nothing but paper in it and a note that says “I wiped my bottom with this wallet, have a nice day” in 10 different languages.

I will continue to warn the guests but as always some won’t listen and like previous seasons in Europe I will see couples who are wearing flashy Rolex-style watches and with enormous cameras hanging off her shoulders. It makes me sad that their day in port that will start with such excitement will probably end with an insurance claim. Europe is beautiful and it should be a must on everyone’s bucket list but please be careful, use your common sense and you will come back to the ship with everything that you left with.

One last note on this and that’s that many wear one of those bags that go around the waist and these do provide a sense of security and remain a good way to foil the pick pockets. In the UK they are called Bum Bags…….yep, Bum Bags. Or, should I say, they used to be called that because these days they are not.  My Dad has always said that American speak is slowly overtaking “proper” English. Well Dad, I am sorry to say it’s not slowly overtaking ……it’s here…….and has overtaken proper English like a race between a cheetah and a three-legged yak. And proof of that comes that the young generation of British people now call “Bum Bags” ……  “Fanny Packs,” despite the fact that Fanny, as you know, in British means mmmmm ……… sorry, you’ll just have to ask Uncle Google. Yep, the empire has fallen.

27 Responses to SNORKELING IN VENICE, POCKETS PICKED IN ROME

1. Joe Kearney says:

John now i have to register a complaint after reading another fantastic informative blog I had to head over to uncle google to you know look up fanny and at the same time taking a nice refreshing gulp of tea well… the tea never made it past my throat and i spit it all over my screen laughing so hard as it comes out my nose. do you think carnival can pay the $1.29 worth of paper towels and windex it took to clean it up oh and i need a new tea too thanks for brightening up my day once again!!

2. Sharon says:

I went on my own to the beach in Olbia. It was closer than the beach the excursion went to. The water was shallow and there were lots of sea life to see without snorkeling but it might still be good for snorkeling. it was our only beach day which was nice with a port intensive sight seeing cruise.

I did so much planning for our trip to Europe. I don’t understand how someone can go on a cruise to Europe and not have at least looked at the excursions the ship has to offer. I think I read every excursion description for every port weeks before I left. I knew what we were going to do although left some room for choices or change of plans.

3. Ethel Kelson says:

John, We have juust returned from 4/13 sailing of the Breeze. She is truely beautiful.This was my 15th Carnival cruise,everything was great as usual except for the after dinner shows.The new 35 minute shows were like watching an MTV video and not being able to change the channel. I really look forward to the entertainment and a drink after dinner but the show was over before my drink came. The Divas show was the worst. It was like a screaming fest. We will continue to frequent Carnival but will look for different venues of entertainment. Thanks for listening Ethel

4. Tristis says:

Inconsolable beause of a towel animal???!!! Good Grief!

• Mike says:

Uh, neither you nor I have any idea what emotional issues this child may have which cause the fear of the towel animals. People have all kinds of phobias. Lighten up on the kid.

5. Lisa Klug says:

Hello John, we are booked on the Legend for early June. This will be our third Mediterranean cruise on Carnival. Just wanted to pass on our compliments to you and the crew, we love every bit of the trip. Meeting new people, towel animals, formal night . . .you name it! A rainy day on a cruise beats any day at work. You all do an amazing job and we can not wait to get back to our “home away from home”. My daughter was actually booked on her first cruise 6 months before she was born . . . had to call back and update her reservation with a name and birth date! Hate to hear people spend so much time complaining, just wanted to send a much deserved “thank you”. Hope we get to see you again in June.

6. Linda C says:

Hi John!! This was a very timely blog, in that I am going on my first European trip in about 4 weeks. I need to know this info – not cruising but flying in with a group of other women. Thanks so much. We shall take heed!! Keep up the good work. When I return I will start requesting my seating for my cruise!!!! Hoooray!!!!

7. June says:

Dear John!

Having spent a good part of my life in a British colony, I know what “fanny” means. And when my first husband introduced me to his grandmother, known as “Fanny”, the look I got from everyone as I dissolved into startled laughter was hard to explain….
    Thanks for a great column!

8. Jeffro says:

I agree that pick pockets are everywhere. In the US and abroad. I would suggest that all important documents and money be separate from someone’s wallet just in case. I’ve traveled the world with the US Navy, that’s what they tell us in foreign ports.

9. Teresa Cooper says:

My husband never carries a wallet when we travel and I keep a small amount of cash in a front pocket and the rest in a slim security wallet that hangs around my neck inside my shirt. I also don’t carry more than I think I will need for that day. Another good idea is those “cut and run” proof bags that hang over the shoulder and across the chest and have 2 knife proof wire cables in the strap.

10. Lise McKay says:

My husband and I were cruising and in the Port in Barcelona in 2007. This was only on our second cruise ever, so we were not aware of the importance of port information talks. I had a backpack style purse with my wallet at the very bottom – approximately 18 inches deep. The zipper went from about 6 inches on one side up to the top, across and 6 inches down the other. Thieves managed to unzip my purse, reach in to the bottom and take my wallet with all my ID, two credit cards and Euros – approx. $175 Canadian. I only noticed when a man from our tour told me that the zipper on my purse was undone. Needless to say, it is a panicky feeling. Our tour guide was very helpful – the nearby police officer wasn’t. The guide was calling the first credit card company when the police officer appeared beside her with two tourists. A miracle happened – the tourists found my wallet!!! All my ID and credit cards were there – the cash was gone except for two Canadian pennies. Those were probably left because the thieves did not recognize the currency. All this to say that I was extremely lucky and I have learned a valuable lesson. I understand from the guide that wallets or valualble are rarely if ever found.

11. Jules says:

Please add advise to your guests that Messina has recently become more invaded by “Roma” gypsies, and gangs of Romanians, utlising women and babies and young children, a strong “No” or “Mi lace in pace” meaning “leave me alone” will send them off to their next person. Despite that Messina is a very safe city, so guests don’t need to be afraid, (just careful crossing the roads, it’s not the custom for cars to stop at Zebra crossings, and a red traffic light is merely a suggestion in Italy..)there are a lot of hidden delights and little shops on the side streets behind Bar Iererra in Piazza Cairoli & Viale San Martino the main high street.
    Please note re: bumbags / fanny packs that Rome tourism board actually advises tourists not to wear them as they are easy to rip off, especially if it’s a team of 2 working – as in 1 at the front and 1 at the back, although it is better than tourists wandering around with a big bundle of notes in their front shirt pocket. A smart man, would stick his wallet in his wife’s handbag, (which fit in rather well in Europe)ensuring she keeps her hand on it, and just keep loose change and a small number of euros in his pocket, and keep his hand in there in crowded places…

p.s. “minnie” the way you pronounce it, to refer to your challenging guest, means your favourite upper part of a woman’s body in Sicilian dialect, as in t***.
    Adds a whole new dimension to her when you next deal with her

12. Rick says:

John. We are on the breeze. We where in Ocho rios yesterday. As we were leaving a lady walked up to the ship like she was a late arrival. Had shopping bags etc. the ship was still tethered to the dock. What is carnivals policy on this.

13. Jenn says:

Brilliant blog and many had me going too. I will say that the wife and I snorkel every cruise. Remember, they kept some of those scary creatures (like NOTSEA8$EVER and Miss Minnie) on land too!

14. Carolyne wilson says:

Brilliant blog John thank you for the giggle! tell the snorkelling couple that the Grand Canal in Venice is a fantastic place to put on those flippers!! See who wins,them or the vaparetos! Cheers

15. Linda (Mom of DJ) says:

John:

We spent 2 weeks in Italy on our honeymoon, so I remember all to well the “warnings” about the pick pockets.

I did indeed wear a “fanny pack” that locked and while it was a hassle to get stuff out when I needed it…. it was worth it to know my stuff would still be there at the end of the day touring.

Sadly I am not surprised about people wanting “someone else” to be responsible when things go wrong.

This seems to be a trend these days.

Most of the complaints I read are people who did not purchase travel insurance and now want Carnival to refund their money.

The most disgusting part is that they use a tragedy to try to blackmail Carnival to get what they want; instead of acknowledging that it was their own financially irresponsible behavior that put them in that position.

Or (the popular one these days with the sales going on) they did not book Early Saver but they want the perks anyway.

Again, they are wanting to blame someone else for the choices they made.

Looks like a total lack of personal responsibility strikes again.

Linda (Mom of your friend DJ)

• Linda (Mom of DJ) says:

Btw, our 2 weeks in Italy was not a cruise (sadly) …. so we got the joy of being “on guard” the whole time we were there.

16. Gary Katzman says:

I have read that it is best to make copies of passports and leave the originals in the cabin safe. Is this correct?

• Teresa Cooper says:

Yes. I take a copy with me and keep it in a separate place and leave the originals in the safe. You can also carry that little wallet card they give you when you receive your passport in the mail. I also leave a copy at home with my family just in case.

• geoffken says:

Absolutely.
      Only take copies off the ship.
      Can you imagine the problems trying to get a new passport when the ship is going to be sailing that night.

17. snorkel tour says:

We love your Caribbean cruises because we love snorkeling tours. Now I know you don’t share our love for underwater adventure and nasty things like jellyfish, barracuda and spiny urchins. But I was wondering why I can’t seem to find any
    snorkeling tours
    to St John in the US Virgin Islands like this one offered on your cruises? We had to venture on our own to find this. Is there a better way?

18. Tom Vancel says:

I, Too used a dummY! I folded some newspapers; put a dollar bill around them…and then wrote a spiritual message in the papers. I must look too tattered…no-one of the pickpockets took the bait.

19. Joan says:

I’m gonna disagree with Raymond Davies.

My last two cruises have been with my boyfriend and we met the most interesting people at dinner. Carnival did a great job of pairing us up.

On both cruises, we met our tablemates to do things together. And both were great to talk with over dinner and share what we did during the day and offer tips about what to do in the different ports.

We had such a great time with the people we met at dinner on the first cruise, we were afraid the people on the second would seem uninteresting by comparison – not at all!

We have cruises booked for October and February and are looking forward to meeting new friends over dinner.

20. Michael says:

Rome was a long and tiring day, and the guide knew his stuff, not that I care, personally it was boring at one point. We missed seeing the Spanish steps, and the Trevino fountains, instead we went to see churches, and churches and more churches. Perhaps you can advise the tour director that to be in Rome one day, we could se the time a little bit better. The lunch was not that good, and I am sure that it cost Carnival a pretty penny. This could improve a great deal. The Vatican and the capilla Sixtina, were excellent. I am sure that you will appreciate my comments, and that your intentions are nothing better that satisfy the Carnival cruisers. Best regards.

21. Hello everyone Toni Patillo here talking with you today about an important topic regarding protecting your home as an investment. I use this blog to share valuable information with homeowners in our community to help them make important real estate decisions for their future.

22. Debbie Green says:

I’ve never written to you before, so “hello.” I do keep up with you on FB and your blog.
    My husband and I are booked for our 14th CCL cruise in November. We’ve never had a bad one.
    I have 2 short questions.
    1. When will the fall sailings for 2014 be out? I am anxious to start planning.

2. How can we insure that a new/or freshly laundered comforter is on the bed in our daughter’s cabin when we sail 11/17/13? She is in handicap cabin 7303. She has several autoimmune diseases that have affected her immunity and mobility. Germs can be deadly for her. She has to be very careful of such things. We would be glad to tip the steward extra for this service. (I’ve never had one that looked like it had been previously used…just not sure if they are replace every time.)
    BTW my daughter and our family are celebrating “life” on this cruise. (We have 3 cabins booked.) In November 2012 she was in a coma and nearly died. She is just now fully awake and functioning. My husband is recovering from cancer surgery. So we have a lot to celebrate.
    Thank you! (sorry it got so long)

23. Thanks for sharing this information..I like it