From: LEGEND GUEST SERVICES
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:41 PM
To: LEGEND CRUISE DIRECTOR
Subject: Comment about the big band dance from ____ Mr_______

Good Evening John

Guest came to the desk to state that during the big band dance in Satchmo’s at 7:30pm a small child was running around the dance floor bumping into Mr_____ and his wife. Guest states that the staff did nothing to stop this and the parents were encouraging the child to do this. Mr____is wanting the Fun Times to state that these dances are adults only. Guest has asked to speak to you John, and please know that guest was very loud and shouting at me

Thanks and regards,

Guest Services Associate

Aren’t young children bloody annoying when they run around? Why can’t they sit quietly on Promenade reading a book rather than falling over on the slippery dance floor and looking cute while doing so? There are only 40 children on board this cruise and only 11 in the two to five- year range. I can understand how this could be slightly annoying but you have to really dislike kids a lot to stand at the Guest Services Desk to sodding well complain about it. Running around without a care in the world is what toddlers do, I know this because I have one. Children today are forced to grow up way too quickly, it seems to me, but regardless of what my feelings are, I shall push the “professional CD button” and call the guest and apologise.

So good morning everyone from Naples where in the sight of mighty Mount Vesuvius, I sit here in my underpants writing to you. Yep, as usual and as on every cruise ship sailing the Seven Seas today, there are a few grumpy people who will find fault in the strangest things. There will be those that complain and I myself try really hard, both in the social media world and in the here and now on the Carnival Legend to help understand people’s complaints. I’m not very good at complaining in person and, as someone who worked in this business for 26 years, I hate seeing guests shout at perfectly nice guest services associates and other crew who are powerless to do anything. As I said, I shall listen and I shall apologise but I shall also ask that he refrain from shouting at the crew. Shout at this fat British CD but not at a 120 pound junior guest services associate. More on this later

Let’s crack on with some Q&A, shall we?

David Wesley Karolic asks:

Can you tell me if Carnival has the laser tag game on the Carnival Imagination? I am taking my kids there in July and I know they would love this. Can you tell me if it’s there?!

Hello David Wesley Karolic,

I am happy to tell you that the ship has laser tag and will be available a few different times during the cruise. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I wish you the most wonderful time.

Troy asks:

John: Big fan and have had the pleasure of having you as our CD on one of our trips. Absolutely love Carnival (15 cruises under our belt with Carnival). Anyway, enough blubbering…….just a general question about length of cruises. We (with a group of friends) always sail in February and would like to spend a little more time on a cruise. We noticed that Carnival does not have any 10-day cruises in the Caribbean. Do you know of any plans to start having some of those? We had to book on another line (BOO!) because we wanted some extra time in the Caribbean.

Thanks for all you do – is appreciated.

Troy

Hello Troy,

Thanks for the kind words and I do hope you had a great time on your last cruise – loved the “boo” by the way. Carnival’s bread and butter have always been the three- to eight-day cruises and for now we don’t have any plans to bring on a 10-day Caribbean cruise. Our longer voyages are usually trans-Atlantic, Panama Canal, etc. I realise though that the longer 10-day cruises are popular with some and I wonder in future days if we will have them. I will certainly make sure the beards know that this is a wish of yours and maybe others as well. Thanks again for the kind words and I do hope we see you again very soon.

Lorrie Davids asks:

Hi John: We love our Carnival cruises!  In 2011, we took our first seven-day cruise on the Carnival Magic. We very much enjoyed The Morning Show with James and Calvyn. In 2012, we sailed on the Carnival Triumph for the first time, but were disappointed when there was no morning show. Is this show something the each ship’s CD decides?  If so, how can we convince the CDs that these shows are great fun? By the way, Jen was an excellent CD. We sail on the Triumph again in December. This will be our sixth cruise in six years and we are hooked! Thanks for all you do,

Lorrie Davids

Hello Lorrie Davids,

The morning show was something I started back on the Carnival Triumph when the ship came out. It was the first ship that had the ability to have live feed and I thought it would be fun to have a morning show as you do when you are home of course. It is really up to the CD if they do it or not and most do and enjoy presenting them. I am sure Jen will have them when you return to the Carnival Triumph in December and thanks by the way for the kind words about her, she really is a fun and caring CD. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you and I wish you the most wonderful cruise.

Janiece Collins asks:

Just off Carnival Conquest – what a great ship! As always, I had a great time even if the weather wasn’t great.  Our waitstaff of Shylesh, Adhya and Adolfe were the greatest.  Our room steward Iryl was an absolute sweetheart.  Anything we needed she saw that we got and always with a smile! We couldn’t wait to see her smiling face every morning-what a gem!  Don’t care about the Carnival “naysayers.” We have already booked our next cruise – a back-to-back on the Carnival Breeze. My friend will be platinum and I am gold but we are as excited for this cruise like it was our first!!!  GO CARNIVAL!!!!!

Hello Janiece Collins,

Thanks so much for this excellent post and I am thrilled you had such a great time. We are continuing to work hard to make sure our guests have the best of times and it seems the crew of the Carnival Conquest did indeed make that happen. I hope we will see you both again very soon and thanks so much for your loyalty. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Hazel asks:

I am due to sail on Carnival Victory on July 13 western Caribbean. Please can you reassure me that myself and family will be safe? I am worried after reading reports of Carnival Dream and Carnival Legend problems.

Hello Hazel,

It is natural to be concerned when you read what the press has been saying and so I simply want to say this. Each and every week Carnival carries tens of thousands of guests, all of whom have a brilliant time. Nothing is more important than the safety of you and your family and that is exactly then what you will have, a safe and a fun time. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you and get ready for the best cruise vacation you have ever had.

Best wishes to you all.

Cindy Thomas asks:

Hi John: I have sailed with you as cruise director 4 times….. Carnival Magic June 2011, Carnival Breeze, June 2012, Carnival Breeze Nov. 2012 trans-Atlantic……until they kicked you off at St. Maarten?  That was weird……I forgot fourth time, but it was good as well… I have booked 8-8-13 on Carnival Legend out of London…Will you be on that cruise? I am hoping you and your precious sidekick will be on board.  Please stay on for this date. If you are booked for Carnival Legend, PLEASE do not take a vacation from the 8-8-13 cruise…You really do make the cruise “extra delightful!!” I have cruised on Carnival 15 times and you are the best…thank goodness, I am well anchored as a Platinum guest…Hope to see you in Aug. I will be on Carnival Valor 5-19-13 out of Puerto Rico. Guess there is not a snowball chance in hell you might be on that cruise huh?? Would be awesome…….but I know you cannot be everywhere, but it is too bad you cannot be cloned, because you are the best Carnival cruise director!! One of your biggest fans from TX….

Sincerely,

Cynthia Thomas

Hello Cynthia Thomas,

I am so very humbled by those very kind and generous remarks. I am excited that I will be here to take you on this wonderful voyage and I look forward to showing you all those wonderful ports and having fun along the way. I hope you will let me know if there is anything I can do for you and I will see you here on the Carnival Legend very soon.

Susan asks:

Waiting for information on ships where Faster to the Fun is scheduled to be added. Last info I saw was it would be available for all ships by the end of March. Thanks.

Hello Susan,

The Faster to the Fun program will be added to another seven ships starting with two more in May. I will let you know more details in the days ahead. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Joy Manzi asks:

It will be our 12th wedding anniversary and we want private time together. This is because my husband has been on two tours of Afghanistan in the USAF and we never get quality time. A table for two then is a must for us and I am getting different answers from your wrongly named customer service folks who tell me that this has to be done on the boat and then another person says it can be done with you on this blog. So which one is it and, if it is here, can you actually get this done. I sound frustrated because that’s what I am. I just want this to be a special cruise for us. Can you reserve a special table for two (by a window) for our cruise? It is on the Carnival Conquest for May 12 under the name Joyce and booking ref num is *****

Hello Joy Manzi,

Normally table requests are done on board by seeing the maître d’ so the customer service representative you spoke to is indeed correct. However, I do try my very best to help people with their requests which is why I will do my best for you. I have spoken to the maître d and I know he will do all he can to reserve you a table for two. I am afraid the two-tops are not by the window but I am sure we will be able to get you a table for just you and your husband. Please thanks him for his service and I wish you both the most wonderful time and a really fun seven days.

And that’s all for today

Each time we have a show that involves the dancers and singers and, therefore, the moving orchestra pit that rises and falls during the performances, we have two entertainment staff seated at the front of the show room to make sure guests don’t actually wander up on the stage. We also have on the Spirit class ships stairs that come from the balcony onto the stage area. I really dislike this design because when we delivered the ship and during the inaugural cruise, a guest came down the stairs during the show, walked straight into the pit and broke several bones. These days we have barriers and announcements are made and all safety precautions are taken and since that fateful day this ship has not had any similar incidents. However, to make sure that continues we have two entertainment staff on duty. And so it was that during the big Magic and Illusion show on Friday night that one of the staff was approached by a guest who wanted action taken immediately because someone was doing something that was, in their opinion…… “disgusting.” Let me explain

The first time I saw one was when I was in the Miami office with the beards. It must have been three or four years ago now but I remember it well. I was walking out of the office to go back to my rent a car to fetch something when I saw my mate Eric H who is a brilliant technical manager and responsible for all the show installations and much more. Anyway, as I walked past him I saw something in his hand. It looked like a cigarette, but it wasn’t a cigarette.  It was a tube and the end glowed with blue light. Bugger me, fake breasts, fake names on Facebook and now my mate Eric had a fake cigarette. He had an electronic cigarette and I wanted to know more.  “I’ve tried everything,” said my friend. “The gum. The patch, all of it. But then I realised it wasn’t nicotine I was addicted to. It was cigarettes. So now I just do this. And three or four years later Eric still doesn’t smoke, the E Cigi thing worked for him.

These days I see more and more people with them. I know very little about them except you suck on them and they glow red or blue. Then you breathe out and the stuff that comes out looks like smoke. Is an electric cigarette still a cigarette or isn’t it? And if it isn’t, what is it then? Since I saw my pal, Eric, smoking one, I have seen guests do so as well including long time blog reader and friend, Big Ed, but for many guests they are seeing one for the first time. So “What do I think about them,” I hear you cry? Well, you’re not setting fire to anything and breathing in the smoke so that’s two really good things right there. They don’t smell of cigarette smell. You can keep one in your pocket and forget about it. You never need a lighter. You won’t burn a hole in your clothes if the ash falls off. And tight fisted bastards won’t come along and beg one from you because they are too cheap to buy their own. Now what is surprising is that I see guests using them outside or only in the smoking areas on the ships. Maybe because some feel that because it looks just like a cigarette, they cannot be bothered explaining to other guests that it wasn’t one.

So this leads me to the guest at the show who was using an electronic cigarette which had prompted another guest to complain. You see, this is I think the problem with electronic cigarettes. It’s not that they are unreal, it’s that they are too real. They are, from what Uncle Google has told me, harmless and they are getting more and more popular. In fact we now sell them in the Fun Shops on board. Our current policy as to where and when they are allowed is murky and personally I don’t want to jump in and demand a clarification from the beards. I know that there are expectations that these electronic cigarettes should only be used in smoking areas which considering the vast majority of people who use one are trying to quit smoking seems cruel and unusual. It’s like sending a vegetarian to eat dinner in a slaughter house.  Anyway,    e Cigs – what are your thoughts? Would you have a problem with someone using one in a guest lounge or any area on the ship with the exception of the dining room? Please let me know

You know, I have been at sea 26 years and like Ivor the stateroom steward I interviewed in Friday’s blog, I have seen so many changes during my time including smoking. I don’t just mean that in the 80′s and 90′s that you could smoke everywhere, the dining rooms, all the bars and lounges and even in a lifeboat if you wanted , no I mean that people’s tolerance to smoking was far greater back then. I was speaking to a colleague about this the other day. He is now a beard with a VP title but worked on ships with me for many years as a food and beverage manager and during our conversation neither of us could ever remember a complaint about smoke or another guest smoking. These days it’s different. I guess research and society has proven that without a doubt smoking is only slightly less dangerous that crossing the border between North and South Korea on a pogo stick. I don’t want to give you the impression that I support smoking because I think that we have to continue to make sure that the majority of the inside of the ship is non-smoking and right now, for the most part I think we have a plan that most of our guests accept.

I love cigars. They have yet to invent an electronic cigar and, even if they did, I would never use one. Cigars are smoked in times of stress; cigars are smoked to impress the women into thinking you are rich and in the hope that seeing one in your mouth will lead to rumpy pumpy. Cigars are smoked to send a signal to other cigar smokers that we would like to sit and talk and meet new friends. Cigars are smoked in celebration and in contemplation. These are just some of the reasons why it’s so sodding hard to stop.

Cigar smoking these days, on land or at sea has become like a cult or a Masonic Lodge. We have our secret signs. Our equivalent of funny handshakes and code words. We use tricks and nods and winks to establish a bond with other smokers. We coerce them into lighting up first, to gauge the reaction, and then we huddle around the lone ashtray outside feeling somehow strengthened by one another’s company. But tonight I will give my fellow cigar smokers two hours of paradise as I host Cigars Under the Stars on Deck 9. We have large ashtrays, comfortable seats, a fully stocked bar and of course what cigars were made to be with……..live and extremely cool jazz. It’s a great word that isn’t it “cool” but it’s a word you would never associate with me. But I know that nothing I do in my life could ever be considered “cool.” I would love to learn to do something that was” cool” though and learn it in secret without any bugger knowing.

Then, one day to my surprise my colleagues here on the Carnival Legend by coming on stage and playing Mozart’s 876th piano concerto during the talent show. I would love to suddenly burst into fluent Italian on the bridge or cooking something worthy of a few Michelin stars. As it is though my piano skills consist of the first few notes of chopsticks, I can’t even operate a microwave and the only words I know in Italian are hello, goodbye and some naughty words that won’t get me an invitation to the captain’s table. Cool, is something I am not and there is more chance than finding my dancing friend who I wrote about at the start of the blog today offering his services to teach the kids how to waltz. By the way, I had a follow up call with him and I knew that I was going to have a difficult time because within the first few seconds of my attempt to apologise that a small child had “ruined his dancing” he used the word…… “curfew.” Bugger.

Anyway, the guests are having a great time and today they get to explore surely the most masculine city in the world……..Naples. Yep, Naples is one of the last places on God’s green earth where a man can actually be.…..a man. OK, he may love his mama but outside of that, Naples is a city for men where staring very obviously at a lady’s bottom is considered by most to be just part of living here. Neapolitan men all carry “man bags “in which he keeps his man-scaper razor, a photo of mama and 77 condoms. All men from Naples drive mopeds because in this part of Italy they are considered an instrument of extreme manliness, especially when revved excessively at traffic lights. Road signs in Naples are just suggestions and it is law that these mopeds can be used to batter down tourists as they cross the road.

I haven’t been off the ship since I got on in Tampa but this morning I think I will get off in Naples. I will blend in with the men from Naples. I shall sit at a cafe and order an espresso and gently pat the bottom of the waitress that brings it. And then I shall head to a Lido beach where I shall wear tight black Speedos that look like they have a small bird living in them.

Buonanotte

Il tuo amico

Giovanni Culo Puzzolente

74 Responses to VIOLENCE ON THE DANCE FLOOR – AND PROSTHETIC CIGARETTEES

1. Elaine Brovero says:

John, hubby and I really enjoy long cruises, so we do a back to back each year. This October I will be an 8 day and a 6 day on Freedom. 14 days of Carnival Cruising….awesome. Anyone who enjoys long cruises should consider this as an option.

2. Jim Munkittrick says:

E-Cigs: I am fed up with the rightous indignation! Enough is enough! Saw the exact same thing a few years ago on Conquest. Three hyer guests holding their noses as they walked by…The guy with the e-cig did not let it go, he got in their face, showed it to them and told them to “shove your PC attitude” More folks need to start doing that!

3. Tammy says:

I quit smoking cigarettes 18 months ago thanks to my e-cig. It consists of water & nicotine, which are both inhaled however only the water is exhaled as steam since it is heated up during inhalation. I used mine everywhere on the Carnival Triumph last year and nobody said boo! They are harmless and the best invention since sliced bread!

4. Carey Miller says:

I’m a big fan of anything that encourages and assists people in stopping smoking. That being said, I think that UNSCENTED e-cigarettes should be allowed everywhere except the dining room.

Some of the scented ones are really unpleasant and you never know who might be sensitive to smells. I think allowing unscented would work best. You’re never going to make everybody happy, of course, but this would seem like a great compromise.

• Wanda May says:

My husband uses an E-Cigg and some of the scents they come in are great. Some of the scents are wonderful. I have heard some people say that E-Ciggs should also be banned, or that only the unscented ones allowed. I do not smoke, but do not believe that people should have a say in what scents or only a lack of scent E-Cigg should be allowed to be used. Saying that only unscented E-Ciggs should be allowed cause of some people being sensitive to smells is like saying that people should not be allowed to wear perfume. As long as something is not hurting someone else then people should not have a say in other people’s lives.

• dawna says:

>Wanda May–Saying that only unscented E-Ciggs should be allowed cause of some people being sensitive to smells is like saying that people should not be allowed to wear perfume. As long as something is not hurting someone else then people should not have a say in other people’s lives.<
        ——-
        Actually, some places don't allow perfume to be worn for that exact reason. People can become literally sick from smells…therefore it is hurting someone else. You can't have everything. Non-smelling ecigs are a much better compromise than the smells. Your popcorn could be someone else's vomit. Be considerate, not selfish.

• Wanda May says:

Dawna, before you judge me and call me inconsiderate and selfish you should know more about me. I do not smoke ciggs or e-ciggs, nor do I wear perfume. If someone is near me or someone else and a smell is harmful to them then, the one of the people should go somewhere else if possible. People try to regulate to much today, and smells should not be one of them. If someone is wearing perfume or something that I do not like, or is making me sick, I move. I have no right to tell them that they cannot wear their perfume. You do not need to be so judgmental of my views and call me inconsiderate or selfish, You have a right to your opinion, and the right to share your views, just as I and everyone else does. I do not mind you or someone else sharing different beliefs, and value different beliefs, however I hate when someone calls someone names cause they do not believe as they do. Everything will never be the way one person wants it, and people have different views on things, that does not make them selfish. Now if I blew smoke in someone’s face or intentionally wore perfume that I knew would bother someone, then I would understand someone saying that I was inconsiderate or selfish. However as I have stated I do not wear perfume,nor do I smoke anything at all. I just believe that everyone has the right to share their beliefs and views and should not be called names or anything. I value your opinion just as I do any other person’s, but do not appreciate the name calling.

5. Teddy Pace says:

Hi John, just got home from the E. Caribbean aboard the Liberty, it was wonderful, every aspect. We purchased FTTF, worth every penny! Also did the Cheers program, loved that as well. Wait staff and Room staff were wonderful as well. Can’t wait till our next cruise!

6. Yes John the E-cig should be allowed all over the ship except the MDR and main theater. Pat and I have used them on Carnival ships with no problems.

I cup my hand over the red or blue light so not to draw attention to it.

7. Teresa Cooper says:

John I too would have been annoyed by the tot bumping into me on the dance floor if it happened repeatedly-the first time would have been cute, but I wouldn’t have been yelling at guest services about it. I had a similar experience while trying to relax in a hot tub last year on the Triumph. I love kids, but sometimes parents either deliberately ignore the rules about no children allowed or don’t pay attention to the posted signs. When you are being banged into while trying to relax with your fruity tropical drink nearly knocked out of your hand it can try your patience. Mr. Dancer’s reaction was a bit over the top. A simple complaint would have been sufficient. And why do so many demand to speak to you?
    As far as e-ciggys, I have no issue with them and as far as I am concerned people can use them around me anytime. I am not going to inhale anything that will cause me any harm so why should I be bothered by it? I think in time people will get used to them when they realize they are harmless to others. It’s kind of like it was when people were afraid of electric light bulbs and thought they were somehow “unhealthy”.
    I think smoking is disgusting, but I have sympathy for those addicted. I am glad they have somewhere to go to get their “fix” and have no desire to take that away from them.

8. Buck Owen says:

I have been enjoying reading your blog and I had a quick question for you seeing as you seem to be the guru of all things Carnival. My family will be sailing for the 3rd time on the Fantasy on June 29th. I was wondering if there were plans to have the Cheers Beverage Program on board for that cruise. Everything that I have read about the program has been positive and I think that it would definitely be a benefit towards budgeting our vacation. Thank you in advance.

Buck

9. Lea Harper says:

Don’t call those silly guest and apologize! Good lord, people get a life!

• Gary Davis says:

Kids will be kids, but they should be kids on playgrounds or around the neighborhood. On the dance floor dancing is fine. Running around just being a nuisance that’s another thing.

• Danno says:

A small child running around out of control would bother me too if it happened more than once or twice. Sure kids are kids, but the flip side is parents need to ‘parent’.

• Elizabeth says:

I am amazed about the things that “ruin” a cruise for some people.

10. Hi John,

My fiance just started using an electronic cigarette and I am thrilled! I am supersensitive to cigarette smoke and there is no smell or anything at all offensive about them. As an avid anti-smoker, I see no problem with people using them in the non-smoking areas. He will be using his on Miracle in November.

11. grace says:

i loved the blog but will agree with the ball room dancer. It is not a place for a little person to be. It is also dangerous to both the dancers and the little one. Could you imagine the people tripping over him and falling and breaking a hip. Or heavens forbid them falling on the little guy and breaking him.

• Pam Wagner says:

I agree. The problem, though, is really with the child’s parents. Instead of thinking it so “cute”, they should make sure their child isn’t disrupting others on the dance floor. I love kids — have two sons and three grandsons — but if they were doing this, I would apologize to those my child bumped into and then take him out to something more his age. Nobody seems to reprimand little ones anymore — they’re all worried they’ll damage their self-esteem.

12. janet keller says:

john I have talked thru facebook about Triumph issue and all the hope of someone calling has gone with no call. I am very surprised that they can fix a ship before they can make my booking correct

13. Karen Raiche says:

You asked our opinions of the e-cigarettes, so I will offer you my opinion. E-cigarettes offer people that wish to quit smoking a means to do so, it also offers those that smoke an option for getting their nicotine fix without disturbing those around them. I was at a blues festival this weekend and several people around us were smoking the e-cigarettes. Since the “smoke” coming out of them is just water vapor I didn’t have the adverse reaction that I usually have to tobacco smoke, chest gets tight, eyes start to water, start to cough. I wouldn’t mind tobacco smoke if I didn’t have a physical reaction to it, but I do. The people using the e-cigarettes were able to sit amongst the crowd and smoke while those using tobacco had to stand in a designated area near the porta-potties, I swear they looked like caged animals LOL. I wish more people would use this option it would make life more pleasant for those of us that have a negative physical reaction to tobacco smoke.
    Well you asked for it John and you got it. I want to thank you for all that you do for us Carnival Cruisers most of us do appreciate what you do and what all of the crew do to make our cruises better. Karen Raiche, Original MonkeyHead Member =}

14. Allison Hawkes says:

Hi John.

You’ve said that “Our current policy as to where and when they are allowed is murky…”

When we took our cruise in August, I remembered seeing something that I thought was pretty dumb about e-cigs in the FAQ. (I’m one of those OCD types that reads everything written before I take a trip.)

Based on your comment I thought things had changed, however, under smoking policy, the FAQ still says: ‘Electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes are only allowed in the designated smoking areas.’

I think that is silly, since all that is exhaled is water vapor. Someone mentioned that some e-cigs are scented, but honestly, some peoples colognes are more offensive than a menthol or fruity vapor.

As an asthmatic, I’m thrilled any time I see a smoker using an e-cig! Less secondhand smoke and less COPD in the future.

Thanks for all you do, and for putting up with all the ridiculous requests and bitching from people who are clearly blessed if they are on a Carnival cruise.

15. Ernie says:

John, e cigarettes, I was totally shocked when on one of our cruises, a guest in the dining room during breakfast, lit or “fired up” a e cigarette. Fortunately they were not at our table, we just thought it rude as if they were saying, “It is NOT a cigarette, so I can light up if I want, nothing you or anyone else can do about it”!!!! :-P

16. Linda (Mom of DJ) says:

John:

I have to ask what is cute about a toddler running around bumping into people on the dance floor, when it causes an older person to fall and break a hip or worse fall and hurt the child.

. There is a time and place for “play”. This is not it.

As for the E Cig, it should be allowed everywhere except perhaps the Main Theater…with the darkness, all those glowing dots may be a distraction.

I understand why Carnival currently restricts them however, because it would be a huge waste of man hours for staff and crew to constantly check to see what is real and what is E Cig.

Btw, the “smoke” that comes out is vapor only. All the smoker gets is nicotine….none of the 3,000 toxins. Therefore they are not exhaling anything that can hurt others.

Linda (Mom of your friend DJ)

17. John says:

Don’t care who I yell out…if the lady can’t handle it, put her in the back mopping the floor.

18. Ron Maurer says:

If the cute little tyke had bumped into someone, causing them to fall and break a hip, how cute would it be? If the cute little one ran on stage in the middle of one of your productions shows, would you saying ” Oh she’s just being cute, let her stay”? If the child wants to swing over the railing on the side of the ship, would you just say how cute she is? No matter how unsafe the situation?

A little education for the child and her parents is in order.

• DMI says:

Totally agree with you Ron and also Linda about the child on the dance floor it is not “cute” or acceptable. I’m surprised at you John condoning it or even bringing it up surely you wouldn’t want your daughter loose on the dance floor designed for adults. Kids are not little darlings when they run wild.

• Kurt says:

Well said Ron…well said.

19. Jennifer Day says:

I am loving my E-Cig, and sincerely hope there won’t be a problem with it on our next Cruise! The Magic on December the 1st. There will be a group of 3 couples this time with us on our 5th cruise, and 2 of us use the E-Cigs. Can understand no dining room or big the show room, but we really should be able to use them anywhere else on the ship. I even use it at my desk at work, and no one bats an eye. They are becoming extremely popular, and most people don’t give them a second thought anymore.

20. Jackie says:

Hi John. Getting ready to take my first cruise in 5 years on the Conquest in a few months and I’m very excited. I was a very heavy smoker and actually started using the e-cig several months ago. It’s been liberating experience. I no longer smell like smoke or have to excuse myself and miss things anymore. Most of the time people don’t even realize that I’m using it. It has helped me tremendously.

Hopefully it won’t take me another 5 years to take another cruise with Carnival.

Thanks!

21. Diane says:

John, the reason that we use our e-cigarettes in smoking only places is that it clearly states on carnival’s website under smoking policy that e-cigs can ONLY be used in smoking areas. I would love to be able to sit in the lobby, piano bar or Red Frog Pub and use mine. I was able to quit a 47 year, 3 pk a day habit with the e-cig and the one I use now has 0 nicotine. 4 yrs now without a cigarette. Great invention!

22. Bruce Press says:

Ref the E cig it is helping a lot of people quit smoking. My son in law uses one and there are no smell no second hand smoke to bother other people. What is her complaint that he was using it. 20 years ago it would be a cigarette with all of the side effects. I would like to ban all of the cranky people who think that they don’t Stink. Same goes for the people complaining about kids on the dance floor. John you do a wonderful handling those people and what ever they pay you is no where near enough. Thank you for handling all those complaints so that me and most everybody else has wonderful cruise.

23. Linda Barker says:

Hi again, John! I remember asking about e-cig use a couple times on your facebook page. The first time was before the new “smoking rules” came down to ask where it was permissible to use them and then, after the new rulles, to question the logic of forcing a non smoker back into smoke filled areas. I’ve now been over 4 years without a cigarette and I was a 2+ pack a day smoker. For me, they’ve been a life saver!

I don’t understand why Princess has much more lenient e-cig rules than Carnival since they’re both owned by the same company….

I’m boarding the Splendor on Wed. and am so excited to have a new class of ship sailing out of NY.

I enjoy reading your blog and facebook page and keep up the great work. Hopefully, you’ll be the CD on one of the ships we’re sailing on (of 35 Carnival cruises, that hasn’t happened yet :-(

24. Katie G says:

I rather see people smoke e-cigs because they are safer to use indoors than real cigarettes. I don’t like indoor smoking because of the smell and smoke, but e-cigs are perfect for indoors except at the dinner table. The lounges, cabins, and elsewhere except places where there is food is okay.

25. Mike Hackeson says:

I’m not sure where you get this: “They are, from what Uncle Google has told me, harmless and they are getting more and more popular.”

More popular, definitely, but the jury is still very much out on whether they are harmless. The only actual study showed that they cause physiological changes in the body after 5 minutes, with constrictions of the airways and diminished lung capacity.

Since there is not real regulation of the industry, there are questions about what is going into the cartridges, let alone what is coming out.

The industry says they’re harmless and doctors, the FDA, and international governments disagree or are waiting for evidence. That sounds way too much like the tobacco situation used to be to me.

I think that e-cigs should be relegated to smoking areas (or, if you feel strongly about it, create e-cig puffing areas separate from the smokers) until the long-term effects are known.

Sorry to argue on my first comment on your blog. I have been following for quite some time and enjoy your insights quite a bit.

• Michael Carter says:

Actually the Chief of Staff for UCLA Medical Center likes them and encourages his patients to use them if they smoke.

• Kurt says:

Actually Mike Hackeson, you should check your facts before posting. There have been several independent medical studies done on electronic cigarettes, and the only groups that say anything negative about them are big tobacco (for obvious reasons), and the FDA, because they haven’t, and can’t, figure out a way to regulate them (big brother always has to try and get their hands on everything). Recently Lorilard (the 4th largest tobacco company) purchased Blusmoke, the maker of Blu e-cigs (I guess they figured if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em). Electronic cigarettes contain very few ingredients and additives:

1) Propylene Glycol- this produces the “smoke” and is an emulsifier for the nicotine and flavorings. Don’t confuse this with Ethylene glycol, which is used in antifreeze and is highly toxic. Propylene Glycol is an FDA approved additive, and is used in multiple products people use every day; mouthwash, toothpaste, deodorant, hair care products, cosmetics, and in asthma medication. It also is used in fog machines for production special effect and firefighting training. It is classified as Generally Regarded as Safe by the FDA. Many studies have shown that inhalation of propylene glycol relaxes bronchial tubes.

2) Vegetable Glycerine- is also used as a emulsifier and “smoke” producer either by itself or in combination with Propylene Glycol.

3) Water- used as a delivery device for the nicotine.

4) Nicotine- it’s use needs no explanation. Cartridges come in varying levels of nicotine strength, including nicotine free. Although it is a stimulant, and a highly addictive substance, it is not a carcinogen.

5) Flavorings- E-cigarette cartridges come in a variety of flavors, and all are FDA approved food grade flavorings.

There are zero carcinogenic ingredients in electronic cigarettes, the nicotine is quickly and fully absorbed by the user, so none is exhaled into the surrounding air.

I have used e-cigarettes for 8 months, and it has been a god send for me. It has helped me eliminate a 30 year tobacco habit. I can breathe better and my clothes, skin, and car interior no longer reek of cigarette smoke.

26. Dana Wilson says:

Hello John, enjoy reading your blog and facebook posts! Just a quick note in regards to the e-cigarettes. I too, thought they were harmless and a great way for smokers to kick the habit. Until one day when on my job as an emergency room nurse, we had a gentleman brought in because he had been changing the battery in his e-cig when the battery exploded causing burns to both hands and also set his desk on fire! I would imagine his company now has a policy regarding e-cigarettes only being used outside! Cheers!

• Kurt says:

With that logic, we should also not use automobiles, chain saws, heavy equipment, cell phones, motorcycles, and anything else that requires a visit to the emergency room. Did any one in the ER that day ask this guy if he plugged his e-cigarette into the wrong charger? Improper voltage + improper amperage = exploding batteries.

• dawna says:

Fire is a major hazard on ships, stands to reason that anything capable of making one, and in the hands of partying vacationers, would and should be looked on as suspect in crowded, enclosed areas.

27. Kaaron Williams says:

Hi John, My husband Randall and I really enjoyed being on the Splendor and the Magic, where you were the CD. In fact we took a picture with you and the Captain on the Magic. We’re going on our 14th Carnival Cruise on the Inspiration with our daughter and her boyfriend, in just 2 weeks. We are all Platinum cruisers, and will be his 1st cruise. We love Carnival.

28. Martha Fields says:

John, I have been amazed about your interaction with Minnie. You are so patient. Minnie needs to “get a life” and quit complaining. Life is much too short to be the way she is. Is she cruising with her husband (poor man) or anyone at all? Bless you for being so kind about taking care of individuals like Minnie.

29. Amanda Galli says:

Not all e-Cigs look like cigarettes. My mother uses one that looks more like a small marker, and the end does not light up. Most people probably don’t even notice it.

30. Donna Gregory says:

John, you are cool. Sorry to break the news to you. :)

Meanwhile, here are some thoughts on 2 things:

1) A 10-day Caribbean cruise would be awesome! And I have just the itinerary. How about doing a 10-day out of Galveston that includes both a western and southern Caribbean itinerary? I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to sail from Galveston to Jamaica, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Actually, I think that might be 11 days, so one of those ports would need to be cut. I would cut Jamaica or Barbados. St. Lucia is so beautiful, and the people of St. Kitts are so kind and it’s a special place, too.

2) E-cigarettes. Your blog couldn’t have been more timely since my friend Kassy and I just booked our cruise and she uses e-cigarettes. I wondered what Carnival’s policy is about them; now I know. I am asthmatic, and cigarette smoke has always been an issue for my breathing. So much of an issue, in fact, that I do not some of the bars (like the piano bar or karaoke lounge) onboard nor do I go to the casino. With this said, I am perfectly comfortable with Kassy using (notice I do not say “smoking”) her e-cigarette on our balcony or even in our cabin. She uses it in my house, which is HUGE for me. So this avid protector of lungs is completely okay with this. Sure, I totally freaked when Kassy first pulled her e-cigarette out at my house. But once she explained it and used it in front of me, I was good with it.

All this to say that if people would approach the e-cigarette with an open mind, I think they would find it is far less bothersome as a real cigarette. Or a cigar. (Sorry!) What I can indubitably say is that I DO NOT have to reach for my inhaler when in the presence of an e-cigarette, and I, for one, am greatly appreciative of this.

Hope you have fun in Naples! Enjoy your cigars and your man-time!

Best,
    Donna

31. swatson says:

We were on a flight recently and after noticing smoke up ahead of us it was determined that the passenger was using an electronic cigarette, and was asked by the staff to decline.
    Very scary for those of us that thought the aircraft was on fire, and pretty stupid for the passenger who thought that it was perfectly OK to be using an electronic cigarette.

32. Richard Taylor says:

E-Cigarettes should be treated exactly the same as ordinary ones. They DO expel noxious substances, but more importantly they give the wrong message to children. There is a worry here in the UK that they will do precisely what all the current legislation is trying to stop. Make smoking seem OK. Children don’t know the difference and nor do most people. So all the good work in removing smoking from public areas, and from public view on sale, goes to pot if e cigs are allowed everywhere.
    Pub chains in the UK have told staff to treat them as ordinary cigarettes, and the government has commissioned a study in whether to ban them from use and open sale. It’s no surprise to know who owns the companies selling and promoting them!

• Kurt says:

Check your facts Richard. The vapor from an e-cigarette is no more noxious than the steam coming off your tea kettle. Seems cigarette smoking is more popular in Europe than here in the US. If I were you, I’d be more worried about the noxious orders drifting across the Channel from France.

Just saying…

• dawna says:

Check the post Kurt. He said nothing about the smoke. He’s speaking of the negative example given to children who don’t know the difference between real and not real….sort of like why people stopped wanting their kids to play with plastic guns that looked real.

33. Dave Wojtylko says:

I can think of only one true reason to be upset about electronic cigarettes, and you already hit on it. They look too real, and they’re new to most people. If I’m one of the people who gets upset by being around a smoker, that first glance at “the smoker” is enough to set off my feelings of revulsion.

The offended person’s good time has been ruined in that moment. Even after realizing it’s not a “real” cigarette they can’t get back the enjoyment they were having before seeing “the smoker”.

People will get used to them over time and hopefully realize that getting upset over someone who has found a viable alternative to smoking, and who is possibly on the road to quitting the very thing you despise in the first place, makes no sense at all.

34. Michael Carter says:

HI John! I’ve been using an e-Cig for about a year and a half and haven’t had a “real” cigarette since. I really don’t miss them. Anyway, you are correct…some do look too real but the one I use can’t be mistaken for one (it’s red). I don’t normally vape in public but do in my cabin (no smell) and no one is the wiser. I do think they should be OK to use in general areas of the ship outside of the MDR.

35. Debbie Hower says:

Yes, John, I know toddler run carelessly about but I don’t blame the gentleman for being upset. The dance floor is not the place to allow a toddler to run carelessly about. The shame is that the parents did not stop this from happening. Parents who want to cruise with their small children have to realize they are doing a family thing and not go to dance clubs or bars with them. I doubt they would take their children along on a night out to bars or dancing if they were on land. There are areas for families and especially for children and babysitting available. Why do other adults who paid a lot of money for their vacations have their adult fun ruined by a child in an adult area???

36. Debbie Hower says:

That last comment sounded a bit harsh so let me clarify…I love children and I enjoy watching other folks kids play out by the pool, during the many games on a cruise,even during shows in the main lounge etc. HOWEVER, at night in adult areas kids do not belong. Let’s face it, if several adults showed up at Camp Carnival without children and started to partake of the activities they we would be ask to leave. We would be told our behavior is inappropriate and so is a kid’s behavior at an adult event, no matter how cute mommy & daddy think it is.

37. The Johnston4 says:

Well hello John! Our family cruised with you and Heidi on the Carnival Freedom Grand Med in July 2007. Our son Trevor took such a liking to Heidi and vice versa (don’t worry he was only 12!)You are the absolute best cruise director we have ever come across and after 6 years away on Princess cruises we are back and looking forward to cruising with you again on the Legend July 27th. When I saw that you were going to be our cruise director that sealed the deal for our family. Just curious John as to when Carnival changed the loyalty levels? Also does Carnival make special allowances for guests to get off the ship on the last stop, in our case Amsterdam, before we return to Dover? We are planning to spend a week there after the cruise. Thanks John, so happy that you will be making us laugh for another stint in Europe!

38. Todd P. says:

While e-cigarettes don’t produce secondhand smoke, they do produce secondhand vapor. And even though manufacturers say that it’s merely water vapor and therefore harmless, regulatory agencies and health experts contend that e-cigarette makers haven’t conducted the research needed to prove this. Some individuals, particularly those with health conditions that make them sensitive, have reported that the vapor is irritating to their eyes, noses and throats, and that it affects their breathing and makes them nauseous. Opponents of e-cigarettes say people shouldn’t be subjected to secondhand vapor until manufacturers have proven it to be safe for everyone, including children, the elderly and people with certain medical conditions.

39. Anthony Chastain says:

John I’m currently on the conquest on what has been an amazing cruise in the last few days and I must say that I agree with allowing use of ecigs in more areas on the ship. I use one myself and enjoy spending the evenings with Larry (our great piano bar player) and having a probably too many drinks while I’m there.

Anyway its a PITA to have to step out to use my ecig then come back throughout the night as it is current policy that ecigs are grouped together with real cigarettes on shipboard use. Send it up to the beards and get this changed! Myself and three other ecig users that were in there last night would greatly appreciate it the next time we cruise!

Also special thanks goes to Randy our stateroom steward for making just the first few days amazing thus far. Also to Heather (piano player) who joined her husband Larry in the piano bar last night for an amazing duo. I’ve never seen so many people go above and beyond for guests! Our CD Gary even dropped in last night it was so packed in there!

40. Richard says:

hey John.. they DO make electronic cigars..

41. Lynn Fargo says:

I finally quit smoking a little over 2 years ago using e-cigs. The e-cigs I use are rechargeable and refillable. I don’t even use the nicotine type anymore, just some of my favorite flavors like apple/cinnamon, vanilla caramel. It’s really tough to quit. Give the “kids” a break and don’t send them to the smoking sections please! How would coffee/caffeine addicts feel if they were sent to the bar each morning for their wake-up brew or after dinner with their desserts?

42. antoinette alexander says:

John, In response to the cigarette issue, let me first say my family has been sailing Carnival since ’95; both my husband and myself are Platinum and we’ve been on a few cruises with you including the Paradise when it was non-smoking. In the early years we were kept from enjoying anything but the main shows because the areas like the Piano Bar were so enclosed and small all it took was 2 or 3 smokers to send us into instant asthma attacks so we spent a lot of time in our rooms regrouping. The Paradise was..like paradise but like you told us it didn’t make money since smoking appeared to tie in with gambling and drinking. The last couple of years with your restrictions on smoking we have had a blast especially in Oct. on the Ecstasy and Dec. on the Dream. It’s an arrangement all reasonable people, whether smokers or non smokers, should not only be able to live with but also find plenty of activities to fill their fun ship days with. So please thank the Beards for listening to our many complaint cards about being held hostage by a few inconsiderate people who refused to embrace the beautiful smoking areas you have provided. Everyone now can enjoy every activity and still feel comfortable having their smokes.

43. Annette LaFiosca says:

In reply to the e-cigarettes. I feel that they should be allowed in all places except the dining rooms. I am not a smoker and never have been, however my husband is and if he could smoke the e-cig anywhere then I wouldn’t have to spend so much time in the smoking areas on the ship. Perhaps there could be a comment in the fun times so guest would know that it was acceptable to smoke these anywhere on the ship. Thanks

44. Ethan says:

So today we saw a person jump overboard from the tender. Between the Tender and Dream . He was ok. What will happen to him?

45. Daniel Reading says:

My wife and I cruised from New Orleans on Conquest on the 21st. Prior to the cruise, I enjoyed reading all your news. Now having actually experienced for myself, I wanted to let you know how much we enjoyed the Alchemy Bar with Tatsiania, Brian, and Maija. These hard working and friendly young people really made our time and the Alchemy Bar is a great concept. It was fun to notice how it was “discovered” by more people as the cruise went on and developed such a following. Please pass on to those guys how much we (and all the people around us) enjoyed their service and libations.

Overall, I was really happy with the cruise. The food was pretty good and all the crew were hard workiing and friendly – certainly for what it cost it was a great value.

A couple rather obvious things I felt Carnival could do better: things should not be “broken”. That’s just really bad form if it is allowed to go on for any length of time. For example, the “jumbovision” screen had one section (about a foot square at least) of dead pixels. This is something that should have been fixed right away, but I read a review from a few months back that also pointed this out and immediately recoignized what they were talking about when I went. Still broken. I’m not a hard ware technician, but I am quite sure something like this is addressable without replacing the whole screen, it is something that can and should be fixed while the ship is in service and probably not even all that exepensive (never see dead pixels on Times Square). Also there is an electronic map of the cruise that lights up where the ship is. Nice since Conquest is too matronly to have the GPS display on the state room tv – but sadly this is broken and looks to have been broken for some time. I heard on more than one occasion guests remark on how the ship is not maintainted in front of this sad broken screen. There are two hot tubs on the bow of the ship (which is nice and remote). They are broken and don’t appear to have worked for a long time, they didnt just break. During the cruise, one of the hot tubs on the main pool deck was down for maintenance – looked like guys with welding torches were rebuilding the stairs. At least that was being addressed, but rebuilding stairs is surely not something that should happen during a scheduled cruise.

Anyway, as I say I enjoyed the cruise but I felt let down that Carnival is not adequately maintaining the ships (at least Conquest). Give the beards a kick from me, and a hug to Tatsiana, Brian and Maija thanks John.

• Rich says:

It was like that in November 2012 as well. Same with the hot tubs Daniel. The big screen was annoying when watching movies with that left hand side missing. Hopefully they will get it repaired

46. Ayr Poucher says:

I have been absent from commenting for quite some time but I feel that I must tell you how absolutely amazingly wonderful Jamie Dee is as a CD. We first met her on the Sensation and were so excited to see her new home is the Dream. I am also happy to hear that CD’s will stay on a ship for at least two years as this will most definately add to the sense of family that keeps me coming back. We are currently sailing on the Dream with her and Gumbie and having a most brilliant time. While I do like some aspects of playlist productions I really LOVE the full production shows and having just seen the “Dancing in the Streets” show tonight with the very talented Jason Allen as lead male vocalist, it is still one of my favourites. The additions that have been made to the show since it premiered are wonderful as well. After the show there were two women complaining to Jamie that it was too loud. I so wanted to walk up to those women and say two words, Holland America. I mean really? Carnival is known as the F-U-N-Ships and if the music isn’t loud then I would be worried. Holland America on the other hand would be much more to their liking I do believe, while keeping it in the family. This being my thirteenth cruise with Carnival I figured I would do something wild and crazy and actually visit the nightclub, Caliente. I haven’t danced in years but the hostess with the mostess there, Jessica, really is great at enticing people onto the dance floor and remembering them around the ship. Great job Jessica!Thank You John for the great job you do each and every day and I look forward to reading more about your adventures!

47. Lorne says:

I just got off the glory and had a good time, but was sad that there was no NFL draft party like in 2012. Last year we had drink specials, trivias and the guy made it a cool event. Maybe next year?

48. Terry Mavis says:

Gentleman complaining about little tyke running around on dance floor was correct. child could have been hurt or caused person to fall. So many parents do not supervise their children these days. Man was incorrect yelling at guest services person. About e cigs they should be allowed everywhere onboard except MDR or theater. States that have no smoking codes allow them because only watervapor being exhailed. Stated by a non smoker. Take care John and cant wait for BC7.

49. Lynda Ulrich says:

If you want more than 7 days on a Carnival cruise ship do a back to back like we are on right now. We are on the Carnival Liberty Eastern and Western cruises. It’s really easy to more than 7 days if you just think about it. How about a 14 day cruise.

50. Steve says:

I once had a small young man bump into me. I winked at him and said “Don’t worry son, I’m not hurting your mother.”

• Mike Hackeson says:

I hope that those who are saying that e-cigs are safer than tobacco cigs understand that that is a whole lot different than saying they are safe. I’m quite willing to concede that they probably are safer than tobacco; but the fact is that, right now, we don’t know if they are safe, either for the person using them or the people around them.

51. Edvado says:

No, John, I’m convinced that cigars are smoked to piss off anyone unlucky enough to be caught down wind. As for the E-cigs, I couldn’t really care less.

52. TomD says:

E-cigs emit water vapor ONLY. They do not give off ‘noxious substances’ as some of your state. The only ‘debate’ with them is the concern of the delivery of liquid nicotine. There are not any studies showing them are harmful so people misinterpret it and take that to be unknown if it is harmful. E-cigs should not be allowed only in smoking areas since it isn’t smoking. It no more effecting others than a nicotine patch. To ban them from food areas makes no sense either. If I was only allowed to use my e-cig in smoking areas, I may as well just smoke a real cigarette which maybe is Carnival’s hope I do in gaining those gift shop sales.

53. Joyce says:

Hi John, Love your blog.This is about Faster to the FUN! I didn’t know anything about this until a few nights ago when I found it hiding somewhere on the Carnival. com site. I even have trouble finding it when I know it’s there! We are embarking on the Conquest out of NO on 5-19 and being a little {well, quite a bit)slowed down and painful with arthritis, I jumped on this like I didn’t know I could. I’m told by Carnival that You book on shore excursions but it will not download it for me. I conclude that they are all gone ,sense they are limited. It does say”try back later”. Could you enlighten me on how this is done? I know Silver and Gold go first so FTTF is sold after. Thanks

54. Alicia Murphy says:

I am a smoker and I do own a e-cigg Green Smoke I did a lot of research on it before I bought it this is what is in mine.What’s Inside?
    The e-liquid in our cartomizers (flavor cartridges) contain the following four ingredients:
    *USP Grade Propylene Glycol
    *USP Grade Vegetable Glycerin
    *Pharmaceutical Grade Nicotine
    *Flavorings
    A third party laboratory tests the e-liquid to ensure its purity.

Cost of a pack of ciggs 6.00 cost for Green smoke 1.62 average for my area.

When I was to be in hospital for a week this was my life saver I had 2 back surgeries in 1 week and I can not smoke on hospital grounds. My dr was impressed and worry what I would do and happy how I handled it.

You can pick amount of nicotine in it too down to NONE at all :)

I love mine and always have it in my pocket especially on my cruise :)

• dawna says:

I’m glad it’s working for you, but pls be aware what you are really breathing in. Propylene Glycol is not as safe as sellers of the cigs would have you believe. Dow Chemical makes it and has copious MSDS sheets on it. Vapor can include any number of carbon oxides (including mon-oxide), it is combustible and when ignites releases noxious vapors, cummulatively it is not as safe as it is made out to be. See this link for ‘firefighting’ procedures–http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/n/propylene-glycol-usp.pdf– and MSDS sheets say “THIS PRODUCT IS NOT TO BE USED TO PRODUCE FOGS OR MISTS IN
      THEATRICAL, MUSICAL, OR OTHER ENTERTAINMENT PERFORMANCES” so therefore must pose some threat to people inhaling it. Some people are actually allergic to pg (propylene glycol).

55. Karra says:

Hi

It’s funny that I came across this entry. Two days ago in Nassau I was sitting on a bench waiting for the shuttle to ride me to my ship. I was sitting enjoying the sun and cool breeze until this woman and her very rude friend sat next to me. Cigarette smoke really bothers me. This woman decided to light one up. I realize I am outside but still to come and sit next to someone and light on up is rude and I am sick of it. E cigs however do not bug me at all I think it’s wonderful and it’s should be allowed everywhere but the mdr like others have said. I kinda wish smoking was limited to one side with the balconys. We seem to always book next to smokers :( I have been overly sensitive to the smell of smoke my whole life. I am sure other people would like to enjoy their balcony without the awful smell of smoke ugh

On the wonderful glory sailing home now :( love carnival so very much :)

• Jeromie says:

I know this blog is old, but Carnival should try the e-cig (and e-cigar) on one ship as a trial run. Just ban tobacco from the ship, and sell the e-smokes. The non-smokers should not have an odor to complain about, and the smokers can take the cigar lounge back over. Personally, I know the e-cigar is healthier, but if I’m relegated to smoking outside, I might as well bring what I really want to smoke on board.