HAIL TO THE CHIEF

January 15, 2015 -

It is with great pleasure that I introduce you all to our new President and the lady at the helm of your next brilliant Carnival cruise vacation. Please say hello to Christine Duffy

Christine photo red jacket

Question.
I guess we should start off with a simple but  important question………….how do you feel?

Excited, honored and so very proud to be given the opportunity to lead this iconic brand and the Carnival team who serve our guests!

Question.
Can you tell us where you are from and about  your employment journey so far?

I started my career as the receptionist at Rosenbluth Travel in Philadelphia after being turned down to be a Pan Am flight attendant.  I had gone through several interviews with Pan Am, and in the end, was told I didn’t meet the height requirement. I then spent 20 years at McGettigan Partners, another Philadelphia agency that specialized in corporate group meeting and incentive travel programs.  After 20 years at McGettigan, we sold the business to St Louis-based Maritz Travel Company in 2001, and I was appointed President and CEO of Maritz Travel in 2004 and served in that role until 2011 when I joined Cruise Lines International Association.

Question.
Some of the readers here may not be aware of the superb work that CLIA does for the cruise industry. I think it is very important that we fanfare this and your role there so please could you explain what CLIA is all about and your role there?

I have been President and CEO of CLIA since 2011. CLIA is the trade association representing the global cruise industry. With 62 cruise line members, 275 Executive Partners representing industry suppliers including ports and destinations around the world, and more than 12,000 travel agency members with over 50,000 agents, CLIA is the largest cruise industry association operating under our “One Industry, One Voice” mission. CLIA works to promote cruising by providing training and certification to travel agents and promotional events, like CLIA Cruise Week and the annual Cruise3sixty conference.   CLIA’s Global Technical and Regulatory team represents the industry at the International Maritime Organization in London.  CLIA committees bring cruise line members together on a regular basis to share best practices and implement policies that go above and beyond international requirements in the safety, comfort and care of our guests along with a commitment to continuous improvement around environmental impact.

Question.
So here you are ready to take the helm of the world’s most popular cruise line. What are your goals for the first few months in the job?

Listen, listen, listen and learn as much as I can from our guests, from Carnival team members shoreside and team members on board our ships who serve our guests every day. I plan to visit our ships and meet team members and guests on board as much as possible.

Question.
I know you and your family just spent a week on the Carnival Breeze. Can you tell us about this experience, what you enjoyed and anything you saw that you feel we can do even better with?

We had our best family cruise ever on the Breeze. It is a FUN ship! I went down both slides in the water park, enjoyed the spa for relaxation, visited the indoor and outdoor fitness areas to work off the calories from the great food on board. From the specialty restaurants to the dining room to Guy’s burgers, Bonsai Sushi and the Cantina we loved it all! The crew was amazing and constantly go above and beyond for our guests. There is so much to do on board and, of course, we had the opportunity to experience great destinations. I can’t wait to do it again!

Question.
Do you have a message for the thousands of Carnival customers who are reading this?

Along with our talented team, I am very proud and honored to continue the legacy of Carnival Cruise Line creating lasting memories  for our loyal customers and those who may be sailing with us or cruising for the first time.

And some getting to know you questions.

Sunrise or Sunset ?

Sunset

Favourite movie?

A Wonderful Life

A port of call you have never sailed into but really want to?

Sydney

Real books or a Kindle/ E Reader?

Both

Who makes you laugh?

Our son Sean

Finally………..On accepting the role of President, the now retired  Gerry Cahill had to sing a Karaoke song in front of all the shore side employees in the Carnival Cafeteria. He chose “Just A Gigolo.“

This is now a tradition for our Presidents to do this so………………what song can we look forward to hearing you sing?

We are Family!

Thank you Christine and we all look forward to sharing our Carnival journeys with you.

Cheers

Look, friends — there are a few things you should remember before you comment. The space below is for you to post your comments about the post I've just written above. Now, while I may not be able to reply to your comment below, I do sit in my underpants almost every morning and read everything that is here. So feel free to comment on the comments and then if someone wants to comment on the comment to the comment then go ahead as well. Please be courteous, unless the poster is French...........then you can say whatever you want.

58 Responses to HAIL TO THE CHIEF

1. Deborah Plumb says:

Awesome interview. Wonderful occupation to have. Gosh! She is beautiful! Hope to meet you on the Liberty-Jan 24th cruise. Come on aboard! Congratulations, Christine and CCL.

2. Kathy says:

Ms Duffy welcome aboard! Great to see a female at the Helm, and a Philly gal! Winner!! My first cruise was on the Festival CCL has come a very long way! Excited to see what your future plans are. Fair wind and following seas, Kathy Baylis

3. BIG ED says:

Christine Duffy, welcome.

If you want to really “Listen, listen, listen and learn as much as I can from our guests” I suggest you come to John Heald’s Bloggers Cruise 8. There John can give you time to “listen” to those of us that have cruised Carnival many times. Many changes came about from ideas from John’s Bloggers over the past 8 years. Hope to see you there.

Ed Konefe.

4. Eric Jensen says:

Very happy to see Mrs. Duffy take the helm at Carnival. She seems, to me, to be a fun loving, family oriented lady, with a keen business sense for the leisure travel industry. A seemingly perfect fit for the Funship future. Welcome aboard Mrs. Duffy!

5. Jack Conway says:

Wow! welcome, I am so glad they chose a woman to lead the company and put to rest the Glass ceiling for the travel sector.

We love Carnival and also have sailed on the Global Brands, Holland America, Costa and Princess. We also dabbled in the competition and only Celebrity stood out for us.

Carnival has a marketing campaign going on and the prize as I understand it is a cruise for life on any of the Global Brands.

Each of these brands has their own unique customer loyalty program and benefits .Carnival also has the VIFP rewards program.
    My question is,
    “Why can’t these rewards be combined for the customer which would encourage them to try the various brands”
    I understand the healthy competitive nature between the brands but customer loyalty is to Carnival not independently to the Brands. So by trying the other brands the customer is in a way being penalized by not recognizing their loyalty to the Company

A second questions is:
    My daughter is a Travel agent with Cruise Planners American Express and at times finds people are reluctant to sail due to bad press from areas such as Cruise Critic. Cruising at one time was “Special and the trip mattered as much as the destination” There was both a casual and elegant side of cruising that made the voyage almost like a fantasy for many people.
    It’s not just a big ferry ride to Mexico or a Hotel room in Vegas.
    What will you be doing to preserve and elevate the Image Carnival has earned over the years?

6. Robin Livingston says:

Welcome and Congratulations Christine Duffy! Best of the Best to you in your new postion. Listening & learning are great skills to have. I think you will do quiet well. I look forward to seeing the level of excellence you will bring to Carnival Cruise Lines. I would also like to meet you while cruising on one of the Carnival ships! Sincerely Robin, Loyal-CCL-Cruiser!

7. Mary says:

Congratulations!

8. kevin says:

Hello Christine Duffy, WE would all like to say hello and wish you the best of luck with your new job. Carnival is the best cruise line and hope you will keep making it better. Thank you so much. Best of luck. Kevin and Karen and all the carnival cruisers

9. Randy Riggle says:

Well done John,
    I have missed your blogs. A BIG Welcome to the new Chief and the best of luck to you in your new role– First order of business is to give our John a big raise. He has the patience of Jobe and is a very funny chap.
    All the best to you both
    Randy Riggle

10. Susan Parlo says:

Welcome! It will be interesting to see what a woman’s view can do for Carnival.
    We have been loyal Carnival Cruisers, and have enjoyed watching and witnessing her many improvements.
    We plan on many more sailings in the future!
    Hoping to see Carnival return to Europe. We shared that sailing with the one and only John Heald, on the TA and just completed the TP to Austrailia. Two of the most amazing ports to sail into..Venice, Italy, and Sydney, Austrailia! AMAZING!
    We love the Legend, and are considering her for Alaska!
    Captains, Crews, and the new Chief..you are all the Best!

11. Joan Carollo says:

Good Luck Christine We Love Carnival Have Fun on your Journey

12. It’s about time!!!!!!!! When do you think that we might be reading another blog John? Thank you my friend. See ya.

Paul

13. Chuck Hall says:

Welcome Christine!!! I look forward to seeing what you can do as CEO. My family and I are new to cruising and have only chosen Carnival. We started in 2012 on the Legend and will do our 4th on the Sunshine for my wife and my 20th anniversary! We have loved what we have seen so far and are happy with the products and services we have been a part of on the ships.

14. Glenn Childress says:

Welcome aboard, I hope some good thing’s coming to carnival. Congrads.

15. Engineer Rick says:

Let me be the first to welcome you. Also, let me be the first to ask that Carnival restore the Caribbean music to its ships.

• Larry says:

I soooo agree with restoring the Caribbean music. It makes the cruise that much more a cruise.

16. Deborah Rosato says:

WOW!! I have worked at two of the companies where Carnival’s new President has worked. I was a Corporate Agent with Maritz Travel and an Account Manager with Rosenbluth Travel.

I feel a connection with Christine!!

Congratulations on your new Career and Best of Luck!!

17. Thank you John,
    You are the reason that we have just turned DIAMOND. Employeed on CARNIVAL are just the best. Our cruise on 1/31/2015

18. Vicki Olson says:

Lost all respect for her when she said her song would be “We are Family”
    How fake!

• Bill O'Steen says:

Give her time, and see if this is truly her attitude. It shouldn’t take long to see how changes fall into this.

19. Marianne Gilmore says:

Welcome to our Carnival family, Ms Duffy. Here’s hoping that Mme President will join us on the Bloggers’ Cruise.
    I have all of my goodie bags ready for the crew(90 of them which fill their own suitcase) and looking forward to seeing Miss Dee, who we met on the Miracle.

20. Christine V says:

Best Wishes to the “other” Christine! LOL…no joke, I wish you everything good & wonderful…please, PLEASE, put the Vista in NY year round…if not, please bring back the Miracle!

21. Cruzin2some says:

Happy Birthday my friend!!!
    The Cruzin2some Jim & Nancy

22. Cliff Pippins says:

Welcome Christine. I wish you the best of luck. We love Carnival. We too sailed on the Breeze and it was awesome. I know this is not aa request forum Lol. But I too would love to see the Caribbean music back on the ships Lol.

Best of luck!

23. Brett says:

I was wondering what the 3 most important key success factors in the cruise line industry are. What puts carnival ahead of the rest of the industry?

24. penny says:

Great to hear someone new in charge of CCL

I am a platinum guest who recently sailed aboard the Carnival Breeze I have to say it is a beautiful ship that at this time I would not cruise on again the removal of an adult only pool area is a horrible decision on Carnivals part

I love kids what I don’t like is the bad parenting that is forced upon all guests regardless if you have kids or not

Pools are dangerous and there are no life guards at any of the pools but that doesn’t stop bad parents from allowing their young children to enter the pool without an adult in the water yes there are signs that they are suppose to be within arms reach Unfortunately Carnival does not enforce this as not to upset the guests even though the lack of enforcement is upsetting many others

Hot Tubs are not the place for kids under 5 as they cannot regulate there body temp easily a health risk along with the increased bate rialto in hot tubs and kids actually diving and swimming as if in the pool is not healthy there again are signs not allowing unsupervised children under 16 in the hot tubs NOT enforced

Policy on babies in diapers not in the pools or hot tubs NOT enforced

I do not want to be the one who finds a child at the bottom of the pool/hot tub

These policies need to be enforced same as other policies designed for the safety of guests and staff

Non enforcement really means Carnival is taking the liability of bad parents and those same bad parents will blame and sue Carnival should their child be injured or worse

25. Mary A. Todd says:

Mary Ann Smith-Todd
    Today at 7:37am
    I have never written a dear John letter before so hear goes. As a older woman and on my first cruise by myself ever I feel I need to say a few things to you. I was on the Carnival Dream 1/18/15 -1/25/15. Fabulous time. Needed rest,relaxation and a stress free time as possible. GOT IT 🙂 I would like to take the time to give a personal THANK YOU to some of your staff. My stateroom 1418: thank you Ingoman and Erick( I think) and the others I didn’t get to get the name from. Always smiling and happy and sometimes humming a tune along as they worked. Rooms spotless with the exception of a bat or a monkey hanging from my mirror. Soooo funny and sooooo sweet. I loved every thing they did for my stay. Thank you guys. The dining staff, Scarlet Room Shane and Patricia,How do you manage to keep thousands of seniors happy and organized? Y’all are awesome and I appreciate you both so much. Wait staff, Ni Putu,, Rahmat,, and Lukman, you are all so sweet and and spot on with everything.Everything was perfect. Always smiling and happy and remembered our names.The staff on the Lido were the same, smiling and helpful. I read and relaxed and ate snails, I love to try different things. Everything was so clean and oh I just loved it. I actually think I was more relaxed thank if I traveled with a travel buddy. go figure..Anyway, If there is any way you could get a copy of this letter to the above mentioned people or acknowledge them in any way I would appreciate it. As a retired nurse a simple I appreciate all you do note is worth a thousand smiles to the individual. Thank you so much again for your time. Am saving for my next voyage with Carnival as I type. Sincerely , Mary A. Todd

26. Jacqueline E says:

Hello Christine, I echo the sentiments and comments of everyone on this board and welcome you to a fantastic cruise line. I cruise very often (only on Carnival) and have enjoyed myself tremendously. It is great to see a female at the helm who seems to enjoy having fun and creating a family environment. I look forward to the many changes you plan ahead and maybe I will be able to meet you on May 1st, 2016 on the Carnival Vista…Can’t wait for that cruise!!!

All the best, Jacquie.

27. Kathleen Starcher says:

Welcome Christine and Congratulations! Because you are ready to listen… I am ready to talk!! I love Carnivaland I love kids… I had 4 of my own. That does not mean, however, that I have to have both of them at the same time. I recently sailed on the Breeze and the lack of an Adult only pool area adversely affected the enjoyment of many many people onboard. As previously mentioned, children were splashing, jumping, snorkeling in the hot tubs, etc. even though there was a Serenity Deck onboard (with one working hot tub), there was certainly enough pool area(water park and mid ship pool) that the aft area could have been designated adult only. II posed this question to John Heals in a Q and A and he was somewhat dismissive and remarked that Carnival was a family brand and perhaps I should look at sailing other ships. Really??!? Perhaps Carnival should poll the hundreds of frequent adult cruises on the Breeze who were not pleased by this lack of an adult only pool area. This change would be an easy one for the Breeze and would result in much higher customer satisfaction. Whew…. Thanks for listening!!

28. Shell W says:

Congratulation to Mrs. Duffy and kudos to CCL for not only identifying the most qualified candidate, but also acknowledging the need for more strong business minded women in leadership positions. I didn’t think it was possible, but I’m even more of a CCL fan!

29. Congrats. on your new job Ms Duffy. I feel like family or at least neighbors, we live 1 mile from Maritz in St. Louis and i work next door to Monsanto (Arnold Donalds last employer) what are the odds. Just got off the Dream (2nd time in 4 weeks) always have good time. Hope you enjoy your new position and welcome to Carnival.

30. Mike Hart says:

I have a Cruise on 4/4/15 on the Carnival Valor & 5/29/15 on the Carnival Sunshine. Can you tell me who will be the CD’s on these 2 cruises ? THANKS MIKE FROM VA.

31. Sally says:

Welcome to Carnival, Mrs. Duffy! John, you may have to stop calling Carnival’s management “beards!” :o)

32. Lambie Lambknuckles says:

What a delightful lady!! What a great interview. I’m sorry I didn’t read it sooner. I hope to run into Ms. Duffy someday on a cruise, I’d truly enjoy chatting!!
    WELCOME ABOARD!!!

33. January 15, 2015
    Today March 7th, 2015

Where is the BLOG?

34. Brad Dysart says:

I just came back from out 10th cruise… 8 day cruise on the Sunshine that started Feb 20th..The new ship contemporary style was very nice,the crew was great. Jamie the cruise director was cool, energetic and fun. The Guys Burger Joint was totally awesome !!!! I ate there at least once a day and the burgers were KILLER !!!!!!!! But I have to comment about the show on the final night. The rock show was by FAR FAR FAR was out of this world. I don’t know who corygraphs your shows but that was the best show I’ve ever seen at sea. From the song choice to the dancing was EPIC !!!! Props to all that were involved and great great job !!!!!

35. Allen Green says:

John you were the best Cruise Director we ever cruised with. (twice)

36. jgeraci says:

If John is too busy to blog, why don’t you take this site down?

37. John Harris says:

You’d figure the height requirement criteria would have weeded her out during or before her first Pan Am interview.

And the movie is called “It’s a Wonderful Life”, not “A Wonderful Life”. Typo, perhaps.

Other than that, her job history makes it sound like she’s had a fun and varied career. I bet this new post promises to be a lot of work and a lot fun too!

38. Lisa says:

Have they stopped recognizing Milestone guests at the past guest party?

39. Elijah says:

Thanks for the post about Ms. Duffy. I have a suggestion for her. Perhaps granting free internet for cruisers over 200 days. (We are at 130 Days and counting!)
    Thanks,
    Elijah

40. Jade says:

What a cool lady. Best of luck in your new position and welcome aboard! I’f anyones’ interested there’s a voucher for a 5 day cruise online going for little to nothing! Here’s the link…

41. Gigi says:

one random thought i had today after spotting the flying fish in the air, apart from the amazing shows n programs we have enjoyed so far on board we could also have an informative n enlightening show at the end of the holiday consisting of QnAs of the ship as the kids developing keener interest n closer bond with her over the past 2 weeks n possibly some compiled footage of what could be seen on the cruise( pretty sure the captain or crew have seen some amazing stuff being out on the open sea for longer time)

42. Steph foxall says:

Do you have any plans to offer the sams benefits for people booking through the user site as the is one? It’s a major bug bear that in the cruise we listen to talks from staff saying about if you find it cheaper then you can look forward to on board credit….. Unless you’re british. I’ve asked this question direct to carnivsl many times and have never received an answer as to why people booking through the British website are discriminated against and treated unfairly due to their nationality compared to us cruisers.

43. Debbie Moore says:

From one Philly girl to another, best wishes and much success! My husband and I love to cruise on Carnival and hope we meet you on one of our cruises.

44. Kevin Mowery says:

What the heck are yawl doing ? I am a Gold member and every time yawl screw up my benefits . NOW YOU ARE TAKING AWAY MY PAST GUEST PARTY AND WHATS UP WITH THE CHOCOLATE CANDY AT NIGHT , WHY ARE YOU GETTING RID OF THAT , IS THAT GOING TO SAVE YOU A LOT OF MONEY??? I LOOK FORARD TO THAT EVERY NIGHT . WE HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS THAT GO WITH US , I DID 4 CRUISES LAST YEAR AND HAVE AN 8 DAY PLANED FOR THIS YEAR . AND MY FRIENDS JUST GOT GOLD ON THE LAST CRUISE AND WERE VERY ECITIED TO GO TO THE PAST GUEST PARTY , AND NOW THEY WANT BE ABLE TO GO FOR A LONG TIME, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND !!!!!!! I AM REALY PISSED OFF BECAUSE OF THIS . I CAN SEE YOU NOT ADDING ANYTHING BUT TAKING IT AWAY , THERE IS REALY NO BENEFIT TO BEING GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT LITTLE BENEFITS LEFT SUCK .SO NOW IN JUNE I AM NOT GOING TO GET TO GO TO THE PAST GUEST PARTY . I WAS ALREADY LOOKING FOR MY NEXT CRUISE , AFTER THIS CRUISE I THINK I WILL NOT GO ON ANOTHER ONE FOR A WHILE OR I WILL TRY ANOTHER CRUISE LINE . ITS ONE THING NOT TO GIVE ANY MORE BENEFITS BUT TO TAKE THEM AWAY AFTER I HAVE ENJOYED THEM YALL REALY SUCK AND I AM SO PISSED OFF. I HAVE SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TAKING MY WHOLE FAMILY , I PAID FOR 5 PEOPLE MOST OF THE TIME . DON’T YOU PEOPLE KNOW THAT LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT !!!!!!!!!! THE ONLY REASON I CHOSE CARNIVAL OVER ROYAL CARRIBIAN WAS BECAUSE CARNIVALS ICE CREAM MACHINE WORKS 24 HOURS A DAY AND ROYAL CARRIBIAN CUT THERES OFF. I AM IN THE MILITARY AND I AM OVER SEAS AND I HAVE SOLD ABOUT 5 CRUSIES FOR WHEN WE COME HOME I AM SO PISSED……..

45. Stephanie Carter says:

Welcome, Madam President, I love Carnival, keep the fun going, this is truly one of the greatest cruise lines. Congrats!

46. Cathi Deal says:

UNbelievable! One more slap in the face from Carnival’s Official Shell Game, a/k/a VIFP. Just as one gets close, the rules change. That seems to be the name of the game for Carnival in its never-ending quest to cut corners no matter what or who is affected. I just finished a trip on the Magic, and although we had a conflict and could not attend, it was nice to be included in the affair for past guests. It was our 6th cruise on Carnival – let me count the ways your company is doing this…reduced number of turn-down evenings, no chocolate, no freebies or paper and pen (perhaps people should write on the wall if they need to), 3-4 towel animals not 7, no live music at Sailaway, and the biggie – hold the Muster Drill at a location that excludes those who are mobility challenged. While I thank you sincerely for a bottle of water, it’s nicer to get a carrier for a bottle of water as one of your competitors provided us after only 4 cruises. I say “no more” after every trip with Carnival, but then we get sucked in by a unique itinerary or special price, so it may not stick, but I am seriously going to try this time. John, you hate to see poor reviews on your ships on “the site which shall remain nameless” but I did try to post it on the Carnival comments section, with no luck. Based on the comments I’ve seen, it may well be a lucky thing – your Diamond and Platinum folks might find out what real service is if I were to meet them. On our last Princess cruise, we met a nice couple who were Platinum with Princess, and they were horrified of mixing it with the “great unwashed” – it’s making me see the value in my Gold status. Keep the drink and while you’re at it, use that bottled water to clean up the Magic – it needs it.

47. George Rafael says:

Congratulations President Duffy. I love Carnival, we are heading back to Sydney. Spirit is truly one of the great cruise lines. All the best.

48. joice cook says:

I have a very serious question.I booked a cruise on board ship and got 200:00 dollar on board vouchers A friend called and wanted us to do a cruise with them(first time cruiser) so we booked a second cruise with carnival within 2 months apart.I sent the vouchers off to carnival ,one for friend and one for us.I called to check on on board credit to be informed we didnt get ours.Our friends got theirs but we didnt.I think this is so unfair .Avoucher is a voucher and should be able to use it in any form .We got no on board credit when we booked second cruise.I truly think this is unfair,John.

49. Charles Ruppert says:

Did the new “Chief” have anything to do with the disastrous new policies reducing benefits for gold VIFP members? Does President Christine Duffy really believe having less VIFP members attend welcome back parties and substituting a bottle of water for seaday brunch drinks will advance Carnival’s image as “The Fun Ships?”

• Jacquie E says:

Maybe. It seems like since she’s been the new Chief, a lot of changes negatively affecting repeat customers have occurred. I think what Carnival forgets is that their ships are old, service stale, benefits taken, and prices ridiculously high. While I do agree, to some point, about the new VIFP program, something more than what is suggested should be implemented for gold members. I am very concerned about Carnival and their new strategy. Although I am plat., I have started looking at other cruise lines and found really good ones on the Norweigian getaway, breakaway, and escape, and about to book on regal princess at prices that carnival is offering for dates on their old ships while these are new, technologically advanced, and SMART ships. Also looking at RCCL’s harmony of the seas’ transatlantic which also offers prices comparable to carnival’s cruises. I am close to being diamond but I will not support an organization that doesn’t support me.

The saying “scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours” also applies in business and if Carnival does not want to scratch my back, I am going to scratch another cruise line’s back.

• Mike Murphy says:

I would not believe that such a public relations screw-up could occur without the Chief’s sign-off. I hold her accountable for it (and the now missing chocolates). Rub those nickels together and think you are doing a good job! I love the quote in the article about how she wants to “Listen, listen, listen and learn as much as I can from our guests…”; yeah, right. WALK THE TALK!!! So far you are failing to do so in my book, Christine! Sadly, I only see empty buzz-word talk.

50. penis hole says:

shes hot

51. kathy says:

I am a big fan of yours. A group of us will be sailing on Carnival Magic, September 20th out of Galveston. Two of us are working towards platinum and the rest of us have meet on a cruise and now cruise together. We always try to introduce more to our group that travels together. I love carnival and plan on taking my son and his new wife with grand baby in two years for their first cruise as a family. Each time we cruise we add more to our list of CARNIVAL lovers. I have been following you for years. Don’t ever quit and I am hoping we will meet some day soon.